Read this before you post

rawTOP

• Moderators

Posting in this thread to bump it, but also because I've noticed a lot of newer people who don't seem to have seen it. I've been here way too long to remember whether one gets a link to it when one joins the site.

@rawTOP Perhaps it would be good to install a permanent link to this thread in the main forum tree view, as you did at the top of the Backroom section for the recent thread about AIDS/STI fetish? I think it would save some grief for both newbies and moderators. Thanks, as always, for all you do!

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2020 at 11:12 AM, Ranger Rick said:

Top of my wishlist for a future iteration is a mute/hide option. I don't care for pics of prolapsed rectums, or political posts for the most part, and other things too politically incorrect to bring up. It would be nice if everyone could just hide content that they aren't into. And also no one would have any excuse to complain about content if they have the option of hiding it. 

Some kind of mute system would be very nice, especially if combined with the tag system.

Posts have tags attached to them by the OP. An initial iteration of muting might mirror the Tag Blacklist on Booru-based image boards, where any post with that tag attached is skipped in your notifications, and then could be expanded from there.

It would also be nice to be able to mute members, either entirely or selectively. Since following another member here is the closest analogue to being friends on a typical social network (AFAIK), it’s often done reciprocally. But depending on a member’s activity, this can end up generating a lot of notifications that you don’t necessarily want, with the only way to hide them being to unfollow that member.

If we could either mute all notifications from a followed member, or selectively mute them (e.g. you don’t care to be notified when they reply to a user gallery photo), that would go along way towards not having members unfollowed when we really just want to cut down the notifications.

I suppose it might also make sense to have the selective muting available globally, so one could mute all notifications from the Gallery, for example.

Some of this can probably be done by the user by creating custom streams; it looks like some of the tools are there, but I haven’t dug far enough in yet. Still, having an easier option for some of this right in the profile editor would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 3:10 PM, ng15du said:

Maybe I missed it, but are there rules about posting snuff FICTION?  If ok, where should that go?

and

On 7/6/2021 at 3:28 PM, highcountrybb said:

^This. Also, snuff non-fiction? 

While I am not a moderator here, I think both of these are covered quite adequately by this rule, as articulated by RawTop:

"Basically I'm banning anything that causes permanent, significant harm to individuals or significant harm to the community as a whole." I can't imagine anything that would cause more permanent harm to anyone than killing them.

And as far as where that applies:

"These bans apply to fiction as well as real life situations."

I would interpret those two policies to prohibit posts about snuffing, regardless of whether it's fictional or not. 

3 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

and

While I am not a moderator here, I think both of these are covered quite adequately by this rule, as articulated by RawTop:

"Basically I'm banning anything that causes permanent, significant harm to individuals or significant harm to the community as a whole." I can't imagine anything that would cause more permanent harm to anyone than killing them.

And as far as where that applies:

"These bans apply to fiction as well as real life situations."

I would interpret those two policies to prohibit posts about snuffing, regardless of whether it's fictional or not. 

Cool, thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/24/2021 at 11:25 AM, Guest said:

If we could either mute all notifications from a followed member, or selectively mute them (e.g. you don’t care to be notified when they reply to a user gallery photo), that would go along way towards not having members unfollowed when we really just want to cut down the notifications.

I suppose it might also make sense to have the selective muting available globally, so one could mute all notifications from the Gallery, for example.

Omg yes this! I would love a mute button for when I don't wanna unfollow someone but they don't really post the kinds of things I'm interested in. I think the Guest I quoted put it so brilliantly, so I won't repeat what they said. It would just be nice, unless I'm mistaken and such a feature already has been created. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 6/6/2012 at 4:27 PM, rawTOP said:

Also, please realize, while our community is made of nasty, sweaty fuckers and pigs, that doesn't mean we can't have intelligent discussion and be polite to each other. We want a community where people feel free to express their opinion and exchange views, where nobody feels uncomfortable or insulted, even if people disagree with them. So far we have been remarkably successful in achieving that goal, but we need your help to keep it that way. If you have a problem with someone, choose your words carefully - there's always a polite way to tell someone they're wrong.

It seems that members occasionally lose sight of the above paragraph from the very first post in this topic, where the basic rules of the site are laid out. Possibly this is because it isn't in one of the numbered lists. Possibly it is because in the heat of the moment, it is easy to deliberately bash on another member with whom one disagrees.

Please refrain!

As your mother might have said, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Quick question that I’m hoping a moderator will be able to answer:

I recently posted a story to the General Bareback Story forum. However since posting I’ve made some edits fixing grammar mistakes, typos, and slight adjustments that I feel improved the story.

However this does not seem to be like Reddit. I apparently do not have the capacity to edit posts I’ve made. I can’t even delete and re-upload as far as I can see.

So I was hoping I could request someone remove the current post (Titled “The Perfect Plan”) so I can re-upload my newer version. If not that’s fine- but there is no harm in asking 🙂