HIV evolving?

You hear about people living longer and longer with HIV, some even taking years to start meds. Have there been any studies to see if the more virulent strains aren't killing themselves off?

I mean it would kind of make sense. a virus that kills it's host quickly has less chance to replicate and be passed on while a more 'domesticated' one would so much better.

Does anybody know if research has been done on this?

• Administrators
I mean it would kind of make sense. a virus that kills it's host quickly has less chance to replicate and be passed on while a more 'domesticated' one would so much better.

I used to say that exact thing, but when you introduce meds into the equation it changes things. Meds make it less likely for you to get the well-behaved strains and more likely to get the problem, drug-resistant strains. Then again, we don't see a lot of strains that are completely drug resistant...

The little fucker is constantly evolving - that's how drug resistance comes about. More work needs to be done with elite controllers: what have they got that the rest of us don't? Similiarly long term non-progressors, who I believe are now defined as needing a fairly basic combination which they can stay on for years without any trace of HIV damage.

HIV in particular and viruses in general are always evolving and adapting.

However, there's not a particularly high selective pressure on HIV to become less virulent. WHy? because HIV is already not too virulent in the short to medium term. It can be inside you without many symptoms for 2 to 10 years. In that time it can be transmitted to several hosts. So, I do not think that the evolution of HIV is going in that direction, but in natural populations with extremely high infection rates, that indeed might happen, if only because viral evolution is much faster than human.

Yes, it is constantly changing.. Just look at this site for instant, for many bottoms, becoming positive is like a license to be able to accept all loads.. Imagine that toxic pool mixing and being aborsed constantly into their system.. How do you think HIV 2 came unto the seen and i am sure son there will be type 3 & 4