Other STDs - starting to spook me away from barebacking

It's at times like these I'm glad I'm in the UK, where there's hardly any syph at all, our big thing is chlamydia (1 in 8 sexually active 16-25 year olds apparently have it at any one time), which I can't say particularly concerns me - get tested every 3 months (ish) and usually come back negative for everything, few times I've returned with something, they've been simple, low difficulty to treat STIs

Interesting, Ked239. I did a quick search on the 'net, including the WHO site, but didn't find current figures on syphilis rates (1999 was the most documented year I found). It would be interesting to know why the UK would have a lower syph rate than the United States. If I remember to do so, I'll ask my doctor.

Certainly couldn't say for certain, syph is native to the the americas so a partial reason could always simply be geographic isolation, a much lower number of europeans sleep with americans than americans sleep with americans every year (obviously), so the disease stays relatively focused in the americas

It seems very possible that rigorous screening in the UK also reduced cases to a background level by the 1990s (less than 300 cases a year nationwide), but since then there has apparently been a bit of an outbreak which started in 1997 and spread to London by 2001, but still low numbers, i.e. 1900 cases in London between 2001 and 2004 in a city of 8.2 million

Found the data here: http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=497

Certainly couldn't say for certain, syph is native to the the americas so a partial reason could always simply be geographic isolation, a much lower number of europeans sleep with americans than americans sleep with americans every year (obviously), so the disease stays relatively focused in the americas

It seems very possible that rigorous screening in the UK also reduced cases to a background level by the 1990s (less than 300 cases a year nationwide), but since then there has apparently been a bit of an outbreak which started in 1997 and spread to London by 2001, but still low numbers, i.e. 1900 cases in London between 2001 and 2004 in a city of 8.2 million

Found the data here: http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=497

Thanks, Ked239. Food for thought.

Wow that makes a lot of sense, but I never really thought about it. I guess I just figured with globalization and trade it was as common everywhere as here. So far I've stayed clear of any STDs, but in college syph and chlamydia were rampant. At one point we were told the school thought something like 5 or 6 out of 10 students had chlamydia, most asymptomatic, so they started really encouraging STD testing.

hey guys...when i was in college and after in the late 80's and 90's i used to love to get barebacked fucked...never gave it a second thought...embarrassed to say that i had anal warts (hpv) around 1999...totally freaked out...stopped having all anal sex...took awhile to get rid of them, and i still like to have, as I say to my doctor, "butt checkups"....once they were gone, it got farther and farther between having a new one...had a good doctor who was gay and prescribed me flourouracil (may have spelled it wrong)...skin cancer cream...jam it up you ass once a day for a month and it literally kills them...hurts like hell, but knocks any little new buggers out...over the years, my doctors have always said that as long as i'm clear and use a condom, i can still get fucked...just have been hesitant...but then again, here i am on a website that has me missing the bareback days and having a man's dna in me...hope this makes sense...scott

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

anybody has had several VDRL reactive results and keeps getting syph ? ... do u guys take always one shot when reactive or do u take the long term treatment?

my doc is kind of paranoic and alwasy wants me to have a spinal punction and all that shit.. I ma going to bareback always so i know what i will get,,,

anyone wants to talk about syphilis experiences?

pvt messages welcomed

<b>baredevil</b>, syphilis infect has four stages, a primary stage immediately after infection (in which a painless chancre sore may or may not appear at the site of infection), a secondary stage that often present as a rash on your palms or soles of your feet, a latent stage when you have no symptoms at all, and finally a tertiary stage when it invades the central nervous system.

If the doctor is recommending a spinal tap, it's probably because you haven't been tested for syphilis is a long time. If caught early on, a single large shot of penicillin will take care of it. But if it's been allowed to infect your central nervous system, then the single does of penicillin is less effective and you'll need extended treatment. In extreme cases, you may need a PICC line delivering a constant does of penicillin over a period of a couple weeks.

Needless to say, the single shot in the ass is much easier. That's why you should get tested on a regular basis. For guys who have frequent bareback sex with multiple partners, I'd suggest having a test every time you go in and get your HIV numbers checked (or get tested for HIV), three or four times per year.