Are u scared of getting AIDS?

miko

Hey Miko

I see you have a few similar posts, and it is good that you ask so directly.

AIDS was indeed pretty horrible and scary in the 80s and 90s.

The term bareback didn't even exist then. There was no public talk about choosing to become HIV positive - much to the contrary. I was scared back then.

It's a different world today. I know guys in their 70s who have been living healthy with HIV now for over 30 years. HIV educators still try to scare people into staying HIv negative, and I think it is inaccurate information. sure there are good reasons to stay negative - not having to deal with meds and monitoring your health, but it's not the end of the world that it once was.

SO to answer your question, no, I'm not worried - I feel confident that I will be able to remain healthy with HIV.

Staying healthy does require some effort - taking care of yourself, going for regular HIV tests, and taking meds faithfully and would require a commitment to do that if you choose to go down that road.

spend some time on this site, and read the many discssions on here from other guys who struggle also with their sexuality vs the risk of becoming poz. Some figure out what they want quickly, while others take much longer. To to people and take whatever time to need to decide what you want for yourself. There are lots of good guys here who will share their stories

Edited by NiceHard1

Hi Miko,

Thanks for the inquery.There are times that I do worry about aids & dying a slow death. I am at an age now where that does dot sound so scary as it did 20 yrs ago.I no that every one will die sometime.Death is a part of life & I have done alot of soul searching these last 3 yrs.

I worry about HIV as well.With medical advances coming not everyday but still breaking through to help ease or erase deseases there is always hope.But i am not going to change my habits now.i no that life is short but i entend to make the most of it & to have fun everyday till I can't anymore.

Not having aids or hiv I can not fully understand what it is to live with it everyday but I no that I will adapt just like others have.Living the lifestyle that I do I no that eventually I will get one of them.I am not the type of guy to wait in suspense wondering not if but when.Now I am open & honest about it letting others no about me.

I no that I am not even a newbie yet not having either Aids or HIV.I will cross that road when it finally happens.I will seek out other who have it & listen to there advice on how they deal with it day in & day out.

Take care...Jim

I remember I was scared initially after I found out my diagnosis (I was 20 at the time), but as time grew on I became comfortable with it. Like said before luckily we're in a world where it's considered a condition rather than a death sentence. Most people that I've met that have had sickness or have succumbed to death were only cause they weren't aware and failed to get proper treatment. My doctor told me I was more prone to have high blood pressure and a heart attack rather than die from AIDS/related illness. Also some occurrences in life issues have caused me to grow more comfortable with death. Change and death are two of the only things guaranteed in life.

Most people see the negative views of it, but it helped me kinda grow up and get my life together in some ways. I started to get my priorities arranged as far as school and career, and the regular doctors and visits and healthy efforts aren't bad cause it's really something that should be done regularly even if your negative.

Very thoughtful, Nu_abo.

Like you, I'm not afraid I'll come down with any one of the conditions that specifically denote 'full AIDS', to use the parlance of many guys on this site, but like you, I am well aware high blood pressure and a heart attack are, in some degree, linked to the treatment for HIV. For that reason my doctors and I pay attention to the collateral damage that may ensue from the anti-retroviral medications. I would also agree with you that seroconversion has forced me to think more proactively about health maintenance - with the result my doctors tell me I should live a full span, i.e., I should live into my 80s.

As BiAuggieGuy said........

"No different than any other potentially dangerous situation. You have to put the fear behind you or not be in the situation in the first place."

Scared? No. I'm still neg after 5+ years of barebacking. Most all of it as a bottom. Now usually as a slut bottom: no loads refused.. multi-anon-partners.. etc...

I know the risks and know that I'm not immune. I'm getting deeper into riskier behaviour on top of BB. I enjoy what I'm doing and see no reason to stop.

I also ride a bicycle or motorcycle everyday as transportation. Multiple accidents, mostly on the bike. Latest was 4 weeks ago. Got cut off by a Honda making a right turn no more than 5 feet ahead of me. I (sort-of) walked away with a sprained ankle and a sore palm. I know the risks but have no interest in not doing what I enjoy.

If things ever get to the point that I am incapable of functioning on my own, as a result of a road accident or a fatal infection or whatever, I won't be hanging around to die a slow death. I've taken care of myself for over 30 years and I'll know when I'm finished.

No, not particularly, because I can't see any situation where I would end up getting AIDS... HIV sure, with my sexual behaviour, unless I have the CCR5-delta32 mutation, I will probably inevitably get HIV.

But I'm not scared of that happening either, I know I will probably have to make some lifestyle changes, but ironically it'll probably spur me into eating healthier and exercising more, something I can never really be bothered with currently. Obviously, I also have the advantage of living in the UK, and therefore not having to be concerned about medical insurance or cost of drugs as I know that any drugs I'd ever need related to HIV treatment will be free.

Scared of developing aids?Yes...about the same as I am afraid of flying very fast,but it is a risk I take and manage in exchange for the thrill and excitement it paysoff.Flying very fast you are always in danger of flameout,will the ejection seat work,any number of mechanical and pilot errors can put you into a situation in which control and recovery are not possible.Sex the way I like it is dangerous too.Expect to have the odds catchup with me sometime,but when a hot hard top is fucking me bareback and my head is rushing with poppers his cum flys into me and I am happy for it.At that moment I am not thinking about long term consequences.I have severely cut back on the number of playmates nowdays compared to my early twenties tho.As you live longer you come to love life more.:)