What percentage of barebackers are poz in your opinion?

bbzh

What percentage of barebackers are poz?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What percentage of barebackers are poz?

• Less than 10%
    • 10-20%
    • 20-30%
    • 30-40%
    • 40-50%
    • 50-60%
    • 60-70%
    • 70-80%
    • 80-90%
    • Over 90%

I think probably 60-70% are.

What do you think?

Of the guys who identify themselves as (promiscuous) barebackers, that number sounds somewhat realistic. That is guys who deliberately choose to bareback, are open about their preferences and repeatedly / regularly create situations that lead to bareback sex (e.g. frequenting bareback sex parties, having explicit online profiles, membership of bareback sex sites / communities etc., specifically seeking other barebackers when trying to hook up).

If you define barebackers also as those that sometimes bareback, I would put it at maybe 20%. I.e. guys that do not specifically / exclusively seek bareback sex, but can be persuaded to have bareback sex. Those can be guys that in the heat of the moment rather have unprotected sex than no sex at all. Or guys that while they do not seek bareback sex per se create circumstances which give them an excuse not to use condoms (e.g. drinkers). Or guys that will usually forgo condoms within a certain social or age group (i.e. "he's under 25, he must be neg", "he's bi like me", "he's from that same small town as I").

If you use the loosest definition of "barebacker", i.e. also including those who normally insist on condoms, but will go raw under very special circumstances (typically guys who fall in love head over heels and do away with rubbers after three weeks) or only with a very select few friends / fuckbuddies, i'd say it's probably 10% or less.

But I'm using German numbers here (About .1 of the population living with HIV, so about 5% or so of all gay men), I realize that HIV prevalence is much (5 times or more) higher in Switzerland and the US (however, especially in the US it's also a lot higher for straight men and women). If I remember the statistics correctly there are some (probably northern rural) states in the US with comparable numbers to Germany. But if you assume that 20% of all gays in big cities in the US are poz, the numbers shift upwards accordingly.

Edited by GermanFucker

Well I think that's a "loaded" question,pun intended lol..I think it all depends on the guy,cuz I know for a fact that several guys I've chatted with on a4a automatically assume I'm poz,mainly because I bareback and my profile admits to barebacking,even though most guys who have bred me are married/bi or have "safe sex only" in their profiles..and I know I'm hiv neg,despite the fact I've let a lot of poz guys dump in me..I've had zero health problems or sickness in over 15yrs,been a total bareback only btm for 6yrs now..so guess I'm just fortunate,but I don't take it for granted..I wouldn't be a cumdump if I truly didn't LOVE barebacking...but in my own experience id say about 50% are poz,the main issue is ,at least where I live, most hiv poz guys hide or deny their status,because of the stigma..so any guy who regularly barebacks can't honestly think only neg guys are gonna fuck him,cuz poz guys need to fuck too,and they will say whatever u want to hear in order for them to breed u..just my experience :)

I think it is connected to the HIV prevalence rate in the community.

I would first say, what percent of guys bareback in the first place.

I'd probably say that is pretty high - over 80%

Then what percentage of them would be poz

- can range from 5% in Iowa to 50% in San Francisco and even more in Washington DC.

Baltimore/Washington area has always had a high rate, due to it being a smaller city, but with a large gay and HIV population, giving a larger percentage.

Guest JizzDumpWI
I think it is connected to the HIV prevalence rate in the community.

I would first say, what percent of guys bareback in the first place.

I'd probably say that is pretty high - over 80%

Then what percentage of them would be poz

- can range from 5% in Iowa to 50% in San Francisco and even more in Washington DC.

Baltimore/Washington area has always had a high rate, due to it being a smaller city, but with a large gay and HIV population, giving a larger percentage.

I side with Hard1 on this. And then we have the range of VL within POZ guys. I think it is better to live as if everyone is POZ, since as we take bare loads we open ourselves up to anything we get. But actual percentage, on a global average, is probably closer to 50%. Then too, I have no facts to sort through to back this up.

Of the guys who identify themselves as (promiscuous) barebackers, that number sounds somewhat realistic. That is guys who deliberately choose to bareback, are open about their preferences and repeatedly / regularly create situations that lead to bareback sex (e.g. frequenting bareback sex parties, having explicit online profiles, membership of bareback sex sites / communities etc., specifically seeking other barebackers when trying to hook up).

If you define barebackers also as those that sometimes bareback, I would put it at maybe 20%. I.e. guys that do not specifically / exclusively seek bareback sex, but can be persuaded to have bareback sex. Those can be guys that in the heat of the moment rather have unprotected sex than no sex at all. Or guys that while they do not seek bareback sex per se create circumstances which give them an excuse not to use condoms (e.g. drinkers). Or guys that will usually forgo condoms within a certain social or age group (i.e. "he's under 25, he must be neg", "he's bi like me", "he's from that same small town as I").

If you use the loosest definition of "barebacker", i.e. also including those who normally insist on condoms, but will go raw under very special circumstances (typically guys who fall in love head over heels and do away with rubbers after three weeks) or only with a very select few friends / fuckbuddies, i'd say it's probably 10% or less.

But I'm using German numbers here (About .1 of the population living with HIV, so about 5% or so of all gay men), I realize that HIV prevalence is much (5 times or more) higher in Switzerland and the US (however, especially in the US it's also a lot higher for straight men and women). If I remember the statistics correctly there are some (probably northern rural) states in the US with comparable numbers to Germany. But if you assume that 20% of all gays in big cities in the US are poz, the numbers shift upwards accordingly.

I fully agree with you!

I suppose that depends on what country you live in and the demographic of the region. I live in Southern California and would assume that 70% or more who have been barebacking for 6 months or more are probably poz.