Meds and other drugs

your going to need to do some research, and it wont be a clear cut answer.

The short answer is yes you can, but there may be interaction with your meds. There are lots of party boys around who do party drugs and are HIV+

Also, check how the unprescribed drug reacts with the prescribed drugs. Ten to fifteen years ago it was discovered that ecstacy and ritonavir didn't play nicely together and the makers of ritonavir refused to put this on their patient information sheets as ecstacy was illegal. A nameless pharmacist recommended that when I came to enjoy my xmas present (£25 worth of coke - this was in the nineties), I should take much less that usual and build up from there. With luck there'd be enough left at the end for a good one. The problem is that many HIV drugs and non-prescribed drugs use the same pathway to get out of the body and ritonavir pre-empts the others. Check what friends are taking without problem and if you're going to party, too little is better than too much.

Also, many party drugs, including coke and meth (and presumably MDMA, which is also an amphetamine) either directly depress the immune system or have side effects (like preventing eating or sleep) that do. Note that this includes alcohol as well, which depresses your immune system and prevents you from getting quality sleep.

Your best choice is to quit the recreational drugs altogether. The one exception might be 420, which helps some people who are having trouble with HIV med side effects, especially with regard to appetite (it's sometimes prescribed to HIV patients in Colorado under our medical marijuana laws).

However, lots of us have trouble with total abstinence. I personally drink, mostly in moderation, though occasionally enough to get a little drunk. You may have an addiction you're struggling with or occasional relapses. That needn't cause any major problems, so long as you remember to take your meds on time (I find setting a daily alarm on my phone helps immensely), so long as you take other steps to look after your health (diet, exercise, sleep, etc.) and so long as you do your best to moderate your usage.

• 5 weeks later...