What do you think of guys who are on PrEP?

rawTOP

What do you think of guys on PrEP?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of guys on PrEP?

• It's great that they can be nasty pigs and not become poz
    • I'm glad they can stay neg, but it does seem a bit unfair
    • It's frustrating that they can't be pozzed.

I think it's great since it allows guys who want to bareback have extra reassurance that there is a much lower risk of being pozzed. Anything which gets more guys to ditch the rubbers is a positive, no pun intended.

I've got a regular doctor appointment next month and am planning to talk to mine about getting on PrEP. I've been playing with a lot more openly poz guys so it's probably a good idea as I really don't want to be pozzed, although I've always known the risk.

• 6 months later...
I think a lot of them will not follow the dosage schedule and wind up poz.

It is more of a crutch for them to lean on than anything else.

Also it is NOT 100% effective even when the dosage schedule is followed.

I have to jump in here and say that it provides a 99% chance at reducing infection when taken consistently. It protects even when taken less-than-consistently, between 74% and 96%, depending on the dosage. That's incredible.

I don't have any need to get infected. Being filled full of cum, though...

Edited by subbytch

I think compliance or PrEP may be a bit of a different case then a lot of meds. In a study where people volunteer to participate, compliance is often low. At this point to get a PrEP prescription guys have to work for it a bit. They do their research, talk to their doctor (possibly even educate and convince the doc), deal with the insurance companies, and depending on where you live, possibly spend some of your hard earned cash. Guys who get PrEP were motivated to get it in the first place. I would hope they'd stay motivated enough to actually take the pills.

One thing that was done in the studies, but isn't done for the ordinary guy taking Truvada is monitoring the levels of the drug in the blood. So if a guy is not taking it as directed, his doctor probably cannot detect that. But I suppose other factors, like length between doctor's appointments, and number of refills could help determine adherence.

I also think that compliance in the cold light of the day, when logical thought is possible, is a lot more likely then condom compliance, in the heat of the moment when you're ripping each other's clothes off.

Even the low 74% effectiveness quoted by subbytch (with poor drug compliance) is better than the 70% effectiveness of condoms reported at CROI 2012.

It's not cheating. Mitigating a risk is not cheating. I don't think wearing a seatbelt is cheating. I don't even think using condoms is cheating, it's just not for everyone. I don't think anything but an STD would ever elicit this sort of thinking. I like to travel and have gotten vaccinated for various things, that wasn't cheating. Sex is fun but may have consequences for your health. Travel is fun but may have consequences for your health. Malaria prophylaxis isn't cheating me out of a great time in Asia or Latin America and PrEP isn't cheating anyone out of a great time having sex. If you're a bug chaser, then that's your personal decision much the way PrEP is.