CCR 5 Delta 32 testing

Guest BtmByTheBay

Guest BtmByTheBay

I've been doing some reading on the recessive gene that imparts either partial or very high resistance to HIV, but the hard part is finding places that can actually do any sort of testing to show if you have that mutation. I'm curious because several of my ancestors were from eastern Europe (and if you had ancestors who survived the black plague they also carried similar genetic factors). Unfortunately my local men's health clinic is clueless when it comes to any info about it. Anyone else have any ideas?

I found a place online that claims to do it for $90 here. Buyer beware and all that...

I would imagine that as genome sequencing techniques improve and prices drop, this sort of thing might become more common, possibly covered by insurance in time (although it could also be a source of discrimination against certain people by insurers...this sort of information is a double-edged sword).

• Administrators

I recommend 23AndMe - they do a few different tests that are related to whether you're resistant/immune or an HIV controller. Plus they show you a shedload of other results you'll find interesting. They're the leader in genetic testing/profiles - with financial backing from Google, etc.

Guest JizzDumpWI

Beyond learning information about HIV resistance and controlling, you'll also learn about a host of other potential conditions with genetic indicators; and potentially surprising information about where on the globe your ancestors came from... I know I was surprised of my Indian (Asia) ancestry. One of the best $99 purchases I've made.

• 1 month later...

SanFran: Regarding the CCR5, it is also linked to genetic psoriasis in subsets of Europeans (mainly German and Eastern Europeans). My whole family, including myself, have suffered from genetic psoriasis and just recently my friend who's an MD told me there's a ton of research on this topic. It also happens that my family immigrated from Germany after World War I. It turns out this mutation in psoriasis is the same which helped fend off the plague and Spanish Influenza. My great grandmother who recently passed survived the Spanish Influenza epidemic of 1918 and I am German and Dane. So, I have have a high probability of possessing the mutuation. It effects between 15-25% of the population. I have been exposed too HIV multiple times due to condom breaks and two stealthing instances. Who knew that the bain of my physical would be possibly saving my life? I for one plan on taking the 23andMe test within in the next few weeks.

I've heard of the idea that ancestors surviving plague gives a greater resistance to HIV, but I hadn't heard of the Spanish flu connection. Nowhere in the UK seems to do this sort of work: I'd be fascinated (not just from an HIV point of view) to find out more about my genetic heritage as I see myself as a typical Celt. I like to to tick the "white - other" boxes on equal opportunities questionnaires and write in the word "Celtic"... But that's just me bucking against authority as usual!

Guest BtmByTheBay

I actually ended up getting a genome testing kit from 23andme.com, and found out all sorts of interesting things. Lucky for me I seem carry virtually no inheritable negative traits, I age slower than my chronological date (no wonder I look 5-10 years younger to people), and among other things, I did actually come up having a single copy of the CCR5 mutation. If you have two copies in your genome, it makes you highly resistant to most HIV... if you have one, at the very least, you're a long-term non-progressor even if you are infected. So, there's that. :)

I actually was fascinated by all the things I got to learn along with finding out about possessing the partial recessive trait, so I'd recommend it to anyone else who's curious and wants to know more, even if they're not looking to know about their CCR5 status.