Choices....

Guest JizzDumpWI

Guest JizzDumpWI

So with PrEP it seems we have an expanded option to those who've adopted a life of resignation to becoming HIV positive.

For a long time the drill seems to have been; I only fuck or get fucked (or both) bare; so HIV is inevitable. Thus I am/must be a "chaser". Indeed there are variations on that theme. But when one can enjoy sex as they prefer, and still have a level of protection not unlike immunity; then the payoff isn't due to inevitability. And I confess, once it ceases to be inevitable; what is the rationale for pursuing infection?

PrEP takes away the "inevitable" part. Allows one to proceed bare and have pretty much the same risk levels as condom sex; maybe even a bit better. Given this option, I no longer fathom the drive towards infection; any more than I would intentionally go after liver cancer (assuming I could avoid it).

I imagine there will always be those who, even with the availability of PrEP will go after HIV; just as there are those who are suicide bombers; or folks that drug themselves to death; or cutters. But I'm left with a sense that some number of those who have determined that HIV is going to infect them since they love bare sex a new option. I'm wondering how that will alter "the conversation"...?

• Administrators

You can become poz using condoms. You can become poz on PrEP (even taken correctly). A lot of it is about numbers. Take enough risk and no matter what risk-reduction method you use you will become poz.

In a way PrEP is sorta just drawing things out. If a guy would become poz after 6 months of being a slut, now it might take 5 years. So instead of 6 months of bug chasing he's bug chasing for 5 years.

It probably depends on how you define bug chaser. I think a lot of people probably look at it differently than I do and say that if the person takes some form of risk reduction then they're not a bug chaser. I look at cumulative risk. So I see the safe sex bottom who got gangbanged every weekend at the bathhouse as a bug chaser.

But PrEP definitely changes the equations. Puts more power in the hands of sluts and wanna-be sluts.