HIV+ and Weight Loss

Blueyedsoul

The Check Engine Light ( correctly the Malfunction Indicator Lamp, or, MIL) has zero to do with being low on fuel unless you take a corner fast enough with the gas tank empty enough to cause a lean condition beyond the ability of the computer to correct. Most cars have a “low fuel light” but will still go about 30 miles give or take. Sucking gulps of air isn’t real good for the plastic gears in the fuel pump, so ideally you should never see that light come on. 

Normally in an actual race car  the engines are monitored by the pit crew and they decide whether to continue or not. If you are in the lead they may sacrifice the engine for the prize money, but it is not the driver’s decision. 

The engines are supposed to last longer than one race, but are only used for practice laps after one race. 

In street racing, if all the dash lights come on it’s fixin to make The Big Noise so just keep the hammer down

Guest hodannyboi

^ My analogy might not be the best.  But what I was going for is:

Fuel = food/eating

Check engine light = HIV diagnosis and realization you need to attend to a major problem

Race = going through life and all that

My take is that there may be a much larger psychological component to the weight loss.  That diagnosis may be such a distraction that people don't even realize how much they've cut back eating.  Eating and self-obsessing over one's mortality probably don't go hand in hand too well.  Idk just a theory.

Guest RawCunt

Personally I never had an issue and was only diagnosed due to something else.  At the time I had fairly high VL near 500g but my cd4 counts were still pretty high.  I think it is probably an individual thing with how your body tries to fight it.