PEP does it keep you safe during the month you take it ?

Scottyrim

So in Australia we dont really have PREP, just PEP. Though this may later change, all we really have now is this.

So I know this is supposed to help you Post exposure. I supose what I want to know, is if you have bareback sex with a Poz guy after taking this. What are the risk of getting Poz if you have se with a poz guy while taking this.

Does this make sense. I now it is a stupid question,but I thought I would ask.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Truvada is the only approved PrEP but there has been a study that shows several PEP drugs also are effective but have not yet made it through the approval stage. In one study, a combo of Lamivudine/Zidovudine/Nevirapine was shown to be more effective than Truvada, but the combo carries a greater possible damage to the liver and pancreas and can do vast skin damage. It is a matter of time before less costly drugs are approved. The issue with PEPs are the side effects and long-term effects, but if your choice is nothing or taking the drugs when you know you are going to get exposed, hell start the drugs a few days before. Why would you wait to take the PEP after exposure when you know you will be exposed? The harm can come in taking it as a continuous prevention.