Obamacare and HIV meds/treatment

Has anyone looked into Obamacare and HIV? I'm still on my parents insurance and untested, i'll need my own insurance soon. none of the information on the web is very clear. i was wondering if anyone has investigated it and what you think.

I think the big question is what is your current HIV status?

No matter what IMO everyone who is neg, should try to stay neg, though whatever they deem nessisary. If you are neg, and play raw, I would go on PrEP.

From what I have read so far, it should not have much of an impact. the main reason is that HIV treatment is largely already covered by the government because of cost reasons. Even private insurance would be unable to cover the medication cost.

The main crux of the affordable care act, and why Im really not a fan even as a liberal person is that all it really does is make people that dont have insurance buy it. Without the public option plan its really a pretty shitty bill IMO. There are more than a few people with private health insurance now that still get their ARV's through subsidised plans. I havent looked at the plans avaliable, but Im sure while aperson who is poz wont be denied becuase they cant do that now, the cost would still be astronomical.

Guest JizzDumpWI

BTW there is no plan called "Obama Care"... Check the conditions of each offering speciific to your own state to find out what is covered and what is not. Affordable Care Act in and of itself is not insurance but a collection of private insurers. Dont get side tracked by the "obama care" moniker. Meaningless term intended to diminish ACA, not unlike referring to us as "faggots" or "queers"...

Has anyone looked into Obamacare and HIV?

What do you mean? Insurance, obamacare or not, will cover you for HIV. The difference is once under an "obamacare standards" insurance plan, you will not have to fear being canceled on or denied because a company no longer wants to cover you. They legally now have to provide insurance to you.

The only change you'd notice once you get your own insurance and off your parents is you may end up paying more copays to visit the doctor or get prescriptions.

also different plans will probably cover different thing s. As I understand it, there are four levels of plans: bronze, silver, gold and platinum.

you may have to pay a larger amounts for meds based on what plan you got.

I just came from a presentation. What I got from it was... if you are spending a lot on medications & care (ie) HIV, AIDS etc..., then it would save $$ if you opt for a plan with a lower deductible. In the long run, you will have less out of pocket expenses, that you are paying for over a period of 12 months, rather than the first couple months of the year.

I think this is a very valuable thread. As a professor at a major medical school, most of my colleagues with MD's next to their names are also confused as to what will and will not be covered. We can only look at this week as a perfect example of how the exchanges have failed miserably by all standards. Politics aside, for myself, I am a neg versatile top who loves to bottom exclusively for black and latinos and been uninsured for the last 10 years. I have always paid out of pocket for expenses including HIV and STD/STI tests. Now, I want to go on PrEP and am becoming more aware of what publicly traded health insurance providers are offering. When it comes to the Affordable Healtcare Act (aka Obamacare) I am just lost as you. Asupof now, I am looking at Kaiser and they are very big on prevention. A little to unnerving for some they do cover PrEP. Also in full disclosure, I grew up with Kaiser and great experiences. I also watched a family member go through a successful liver transplant which was handle by a joint venture between Kaiser and UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center. The treatment was amazing. On the flip side, I have other colleagues who swear by the other large companies.

So how will the new law effect HIV prevention and treatment. I hope it is not another disaster like The VA Hospitals. Some are VA facilities are good but the bureaucracy and stories are legendary.

• 2 months later...

thx for all the information everyone! i did sign up for and will be able to get off my parents ins. All HIV treatment is covered depending in income level plus i qualify for a program here in ny. thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...