Low Cost (or Free) PrEP

rawTOP

• Administrators

Just a quick note to say if you're taking PrEP, or thinking of taking PrEP, definitely give Gilead a call - 877-505-6986 - they'll give you up to $200/month off on PrEP.

http://www.truvada.com/truvada-patient-assistance

When I looked into it 6 months ago the website said they only did copay assistance for Truvada based on need and they wanted to see tax returns. I hadn't completed my 2012 taxes, so I put it off and I was paying $225/month ($2700/year) for PrEP. I did that for 6 months, but then I got my taxes done, so I had them ready and did the call and I was really surprised because they didn't ask any financial questions at all.

They gave me the details I needed to get the $200/month off, so I called my plan's mail order pharmacy expecting to pay a net of $25/mo, but they told me they don't take that type of copay assistance. I thought I had to get it through them, but they said I could go to a regular pharmacy. The only thing was that if I went to a regular pharmacy the price would be $250/month, not $225. I go to Callen-Lorde - the gay clinic here in NYC - they have a pharmacy so I figured I'd support Callen-Lorde by filling the script there. There were some mixups, but I did get finally get it filled - total price was almost exactly $50 - which is far more affordable than $225.

So that means I'm saving $175/month - $2,100/year!!

The only downside is that they won't reimburse for past copays, so I can't get money back for the $225/month I spent in the past. Too bad, but at last I'm saving money going forward.

My plan isn't as generous as some. A lot of you have copays that are $200 or less so you'll get PrEP for free. That's a price you can't beat! There's no excuse for not taking it if it's free...

I still don't understand the American health care system (or how you guys put up with it!) but that sounds like a bargain to me...

Dont try to understand it, it makes very little sense.

But rawtop is right, and their program is how I get mine for next to nothing.