First day on PrEP

versgeek

Same here. Totally versatile, but not really wanting to get pozzed, but there are so many fucking hot poz tops out there that I cannot wait to start taking their loads.

I'll have to check on a copay assistance program since until getting on PrEP, I haven't needed it.

hehe, yeah I have read a lot of your posts... its a good thing you are going on it. ;)

Hi bearbandit

Thanks for the advice, but actually for the past 3 years I've been in a very intense strength training and conditioning program. I've lost 50 lbs. So I definitely know what I'm doing as far as diet and exercise.

As far as stopping/starting PrEP, I've done it twice. I started in April, stopped in May. Started again in July, stopped in September. Right now I am off of it but considering going back on in the new year. I guess if I get back on I should stay on?

Do we know if Truvada causes the same weight gain issues in PrEP users as it does in poz guys?

Guest JizzDumpWI

makingwords, I would be interested in learning what your doc says. I see my ID doc in February; and I'll definitely ask him then.

Start/stop; indeed no IIRC as PrEP. I know researchers are still studying the concept of PrEP when needed (which might be considerable on/off for some, and never off for others). I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of prevention options open up in the coming years. And, perhaps, a cure...

I'm actually thinking of getting my doctor to put me on PREP. Does anyone know how long after starting PREP will one be at optimal protection levels? I'm not interested in taking loads or anything like that, but I did have an exposure scare recently, just finished a course of PEP, and would like to know a bit more. My 2nd follow-up appointment with the doc is in a few days. Thanks.

I'm actually thinking of getting my doctor to put me on PREP. Does anyone know how long after starting PREP will one be at optimal protection levels? I'm not interested in taking loads or anything like that, but I did have an exposure scare recently, just finished a course of PEP, and would like to know a bit more. My 2nd follow-up appointment with the doc is in a few days. Thanks.

protection starts almost immediately because there is a therapeutic level of medication in the bloodstream. However, you cant just stop it. For example, say a poz guy fucks you, and two days after you go off PrEP. That could still result in an infection because small amounts of the virus could still be in your body without causing an active infection. Most research says if you choose to go off, you should take it for one month after your last exposure date.

It's not immediate, it takes two weeks to reach steady state concentrations in rectal tissue. iPrEx recommended minimum one week. Once the IPERGAY (intermittent dosing) study is done there'll be more stats on effectiveness vs number of days.

It's not immediate, it takes two weeks to reach steady state concentrations in rectal tissue. iPrEx recommended minimum one week. Once the IPERGAY (intermittent dosing) study is done there'll be more stats on effectiveness vs number of days.

good to know! not what my doctor told me, but good info!

good to know! not what my doctor told me, but good info!

IPERGAY trial in France/Montreal is testing 2 x Truvada 24 hours before, 1 x Truvada a day during sexytime, 1 x Truvada 24 hours after (and giving some unlucky guys placebo - !). Should know in the next year or two if it works... if it does... then 24 hours could be cool...

I'm three months away from my last undetectable VL test: if Mr Right Now turned up on the doorstep I'd want him to have taken at least a week's worth (preferably two) of truvada if I was going to fuck him. Maybe it's personal anxiety and it would be okay - it's not as though every poz load infects anyway.