PrEP Truvada Side Effects

jizzpig

For the guys taking Truvada, I've been taking it for 5 days now, but in the past day and half, I've had "digestive system issues" causing frequent trips to the restroom (and not to cruise for cock at the urinals). I know this is likely a side effect of the treatment.

A few questions:

1.) How long does this side effect last?

2.) Does it mean I need to cease taking it?

3.) Provided the side effect doesn't last too long, what's the best way to counter the effect?

Thanks, guys!

I take Complera and previously Atripla. GI/Digestive issues are common with all HIV/Antivirals. It shouldn't be an issue for more than a week or two.

When I had similar issues, I began to take a daily probiotic (just generic Walgreens) and Metamucil (for fiber) at night.

I have many friends who follow a similar regimen...

For the guys taking Truvada, I've been taking it for 5 days now, but in the past day and half, I've had "digestive system issues" causing frequent trips to the restroom (and not to cruise for cock at the urinals). I know this is likely a side effect of the treatment.

A few questions:

3.) Provided the side effect doesn't last too long, what's the best way to counter the effect?

Thanks, guys!

I always reckon you should set a number of days that you're prepared to put up with side effects of a new drug. If they go on past that date, back to your doctor. I've always been on protease inhibitors (which are notorious for their effect on the gut) when at the same time as truvada, but I understand from friends on a PI-sparing regime that truvada isn't that bad once you get used to it. Say, give it a month...

I'm on a three-class combination at present, including a PI. I also take a fair amount of codeine to relieve the pain of neuropathy. My consultant asked me how I coped with the constipation that the codeine causes. I replied "it's a luxury..."

Thanks, guys. A chat with the doctor and she recommends similar. Metamucil and probiotics. She also recommended not to eat fried foods and cut down on dairy. 2-3 days at least of eating bananas and white rice was also recommended.

Guest JizzDumpWI
Thanks, guys. A chat with the doctor and she recommends similar. Metamucil and probiotics. She also recommended not to eat fried foods and cut down on dairy. 2-3 days at least of eating bananas and white rice was also recommended.

I only had those symptoms the first month. OTC Omeprazole when I took my Truvada stopped those side effects. A month later i was able to stop the Omeprazole as my system adapted.

A few questions:

Thanks, guys!

They should go away in about a week as your body gets used to the drug. Most people don't experience diaherrea but some do. When it's shows up it goes away quickly.

They should go away in about a week as your body gets used to the drug. Most people don't experience diaherrea but some do. When it's shows up it goes away quickly.

I noticed that is already easing up. My ass will be ready for cock very soon!

Thanks to all the feedback, guys.

I am taking my first dose of Truvada tonight! I am a new participant in a on-going PReP study in LA. While I have BB'd in the past (hence the member name), that was somewhat in the past and I have been in a relationship for a while. Recently, we have opened the relationship. Together we have always played raw, but been safe with others (well, for the most part). I am not looking to dramtically change things, but it just seemed to make sense. Truthfullly, it was an akward conversation with someone (my Partner) to say I am taking this and you can trust me, but just in case, I may have BB sex and that you should feel better that I am being responsible by taking PReP. I, like he, would rather know than not know if I/he had played BB. I feel better about it, but.....damn, a little guilty too. Maybe after the first shits, I won't feel so guilty.......Onward!

I am taking my first dose of Truvada tonight! I am a new participant in a on-going PReP study in LA. While I have BB'd in the past (hence the member name), that was somewhat in the past and I have been in a relationship for a while. Recently, we have opened the relationship. Together we have always played raw, but been safe with others (well, for the most part). I am not looking to dramtically change things, but it just seemed to make sense. Truthfullly, it was an akward conversation with someone (my Partner) to say I am taking this and you can trust me, but just in case, I may have BB sex and that you should feel better that I am being responsible by taking PReP. I, like he, would rather know than not know if I/he had played BB. I feel better about it, but.....damn, a little guilty too. Maybe after the first shits, I won't feel so guilty.......Onward!

Great to hear you are being so open with your partner. If you adhere to PrEP properly and you are getting tested frequently I think there is very little risk of giving HIV to each other. Tells us how it works for you.

Hi, leaker30. Seems like not everyone gets them, but it hit me about day 3 or 4 and only lasted a couple days. It's pretty much cleared up for me. I am doing the yogurt and psyllum too. Congrats on getting started!

I'm on day 4 of prep (took my first one Monday night before bed). So far no symptoms other than some vivid, crazy dreams. I do eat 2 yogurts and take psyllum every day so that may be why I'm not having an GI issues

I'd put money on the dreams being "of natural origin" - your subconscious processing the fact that you've taken the very sensible decision of starting PrEP. Yes, there is a rare uninvestigated (apart from HIV activists) effect from the FTC component which can cause over-vivid dreams, but this doesn't generally kick in until you've been on the drug for a while longer than a few days. The dreams can be avoided by taking the pill in the morning - I've got FTC as part of my combination and once I realised that FTC was the cause of my nightmares, I started taking it in the morning. Puff of smoke - the dreams went...

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would be far more concerned about the long term side effects with HIV medications. Over time the drugs are very hard on your kidneys especially if you drink or do any drugs. These side effects are heavily downplayed by HIV organizations because many of them receive large grants from the drug company directly. You should do serious research on these issues before deciding to take Truvada. Also if you are diabetic or have other conditions that already would make you more prone to kidney disease be very careful.