Wanting to go on PrEP

bbboix287

Hello Gentlemen! Justing been lurking around the forums reading tid bits here and there. Its because of this site, I'm more aware of HIV even more so than my studies in college. This site also introduce me to the concept of PrEP. I've been seeing myself slowing reducing my usage in condoms. I try to sero-sort, but its then i think in the back of my head, I know I shouldnt trust people when it comes to getting that nut. (Like its getting to the point where I'd rather have sex with a Undetectable guy. Because they now they're status, viral loads, etc. A Poz guy honest with his status and himself, will hopefully be honest with others) Gonna be honest, the other STDs don't really scare me. The bacteria can be gotten rid of with a simple shot. HPV I already have (Ironically when I was more a condom nazi), which the body can deal with itself and I been vaccinated for other potential strains. Vaccinated for the Heps (A/B). Herpes is only a skin condition. (The stigma with it is almost as bad as HIV). I don't have the convert mentality, so I wanna be cautious, but still wanting the feel of raw uninhibited sex. So I want to go down the road with PrEP on my side. I know my risk, and I just want to reduce them as much as I can, but still wanting to bareback.

So that being said, I want to know more on how to start PrEP, its costs, and other things.

As of right now, I'm a college student, but no health insurance. Have minimum wage job, but hopefully entering the Pharmacy Tech field. What are my options?

I also learned first about PrEP from this site. I was lucky because my insurance covers it at $25/copayment. Many colleges have insurance available for their students, so you might want to look into that. I'd also suggest looking into the STD clinics in your area. They might have some information, and may even offer Truvada at a reduced or low-cost fee. Also, you may become eligible for coverage through the new healthcare law. VA just elected a democratic governor this past November, and, I think obtained Democratic control of the legislature through a more recent special election. The former republican administration was one of those state governments headlining it's resistance to the ACA, but I believe the new Governor said he would no longer fight it, perhaps allowing VA to access millions in federal money to expand the Medicaid rolls for poor and low-income people to get health insurance coverage. Depending on when/if this happens, I suspect that a minimum-wage earner like yourself may qualify. If so, you may get PrEP coverage. Hope this helps, and best of luck to you.

It seems to depend on your location, but getting PrEP seems to be quite easy for many. It's merely asking your doctor about it and letting him/her know you are "high risk" as a gay man and don't always play "safe". If the doctor isn't familiar with PrEP, it may be a little more effort by presenting him with some data from FDA/CDC, or finding another doctor that is willing to prescribe. Once the doctor agrees, you get a series of blood tests and as long as the tests are OK, the doctor will give you a script.

The worst part is paying for it. Cash price (no insurance) is about $1,350.00 each and every month. Most insurances in the US seem to cover it to some degree though. Strafe13 says he gets it at $25/co-pay. For me, I have to pay 40% of the cost -- however, after I reach a certain dollar amount of "out of pocket expenses" in a year, all medical costs are covered at 100% and no co-pays. Fortunately, my out-of-pocket limit is quite low, so I hit almost every year anywhere. By the end of the year, my medical costs will be the same with PrEP as it was without PrEP. In effect, it is ends up being "free" for me.

If you do not have insurance, the drug manufacturer has a program that will let you get it for free (with a few restrictions). I didn't look too closely to that program as I had insurance. However, you still need the quarterly follow-up with the doctor and additional labs to ensure the drugs are not adversely affecting your body and that you remain HIV-.

Check out the Truvada for PReP Medication Assistance website - http://www.gilead.com/responsibility/us-patient-access/truvada%20for%20prep%20medication%20assistance%20program

Edited by jizzpig

(Like its getting to the point where I'd rather have sex with a Undetectable guy. Because they now they're status, viral loads, etc. A Poz guy honest with his status and himself, will hopefully be honest with others)

You're absolutely right: maintaining an undetectable viral load means taking care with the drugs, regular monitoring and STI checking. I'm on quarterly appointments and my last two viral loads have been 0 (that's a number, not a euphemism). I couldn't give someone HIV even if I wanted to. The guys most likely to have HIV are the ones who rely on (I don't like even repeating the terms) "DDF" and "Clean U B 2". How long is it since they've seen the inside of an STI clinic? I know a guy who regularly takes it raw, but only tests once a year... In the UK it's reckoned from anonymous blood sampling (syphoning off a little bit of blood when someone has a blood test for something else, and put into and unlabelled tube) that 26% of people with HIV don't know they have it.

Sorry to go off on a tangent from your question, but it's a soapbox thing: the way forward in stopping HIV is treatment as protection (TasP) and PrEP, which, of course, implies test and treat, meaning regular testing (which you get with PrEP anyway...

[T]he way forward in stopping HIV is treatment as protection (TasP) and PrEP, which, of course, implies test and treat, meaning regular testing (which you get with PrEP anyway...

Very well said, bearbandit. I'm amazed to see the increased interest in PrEP over the past year. Now, people are even mentioning it in hookup profiles! The testing regularity alone is of tremendous value to the community.

• 2 weeks later...
So I want to go down the road with PrEP on my side. I know my risk, and I just want to reduce them as much as I can, but still wanting to bareback.

So that being said, I want to know more on how to start PrEP, its costs, and other things.

As of right now, I'm a college student, but no health insurance. Have minimum wage job, but hopefully entering the Pharmacy Tech field. What are my options?

good call. Call the people at the gilead assistance program, There is a good chance you can get it for free. Also check out insurance options from your school. Many will have very cheap options. Also try healthcare.gov. You may be able to get a government program.

Guest JizzDumpWI
It seems to depend on your location, but getting PrEP seems to be quite easy for many. It's merely asking your doctor about it and letting him/her know you are "high risk" as a gay man and don't always play "safe". If the doctor isn't familiar with PrEP, it may be a little more effort by presenting him with some data from FDA/CDC, or finding another doctor that is willing to prescribe. Once the doctor agrees, you get a series of blood tests and as long as the tests are OK, the doctor will give you a script.

The worst part is paying for it. Cash price (no insurance) is about $1,350.00 each and every month. Most insurances in the US seem to cover it to some degree though. Strafe13 says he gets it at $25/co-pay. For me, I have to pay 40% of the cost -- however, after I reach a certain dollar amount of "out of pocket expenses" in a year, all medical costs are covered at 100% and no co-pays. Fortunately, my out-of-pocket limit is quite low, so I hit almost every year anywhere. By the end of the year, my medical costs will be the same with PrEP as it was without PrEP. In effect, it is ends up being "free" for me.

If you do not have insurance, the drug manufacturer has a program that will let you get it for free (with a few restrictions). I didn't look too closely to that program as I had insurance. However, you still need the quarterly follow-up with the doctor and additional labs to ensure the drugs are not adversely affecting your body and that you remain HIV-.

Check out the Truvada for PReP Medication Assistance website - http://www.gilead.com/responsibility/us-patient-access/truvada%20for%20prep%20medication%20assistance%20program

jizzpig, did you look into Gilead's copay assistance? My insurance pays all bur $100, Gilead waives the rest.

You don't say if you are in the USA, but if you are, sounds like you are making little money so you may qualify for essentially free insurance coverage with either Medicaid or one of the Silver 94% plans with no deductibles and very low copays that are available to those making less than $20K.

I'm getting PrEP with Obamacare and I'm paying $55/month for the premium and they've been covering my PrEP 100%. My only costs has been the copays for docs and testing which are $5 each. I have no medical or drug deductibles. Enrollment ends in 5 days so you need to hurry up. What state are you in?