PrEP

neg4poztop

I think i spelled it right..anyway i dont know alot about this,so thought that this would be a good place for the discussion. I know guys take this as a last minute effort to prevent HIV,which i personally think is silly,but thats just me

Guest JizzDumpWI

PEP, Post exposure prophylaxis is the "last minute" one. Different drugs and different effiicacy. PrEP, pre exposure prophylaxis, is for prevention. The typical heuristic is to be on it for 5 days before exposure and at least 30 days after.

Your mentioning a "last minute effort to prevent HIV" suggests that you are confusing Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) and Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP). There is nothing "silly" about either one.

PEP is what you ask for immediately in an occupational medicine clinic if you've had a "needle stick" incident at work, or in a public health clinic or hospital emergency room if you've had a sexual exposure that puts you at significant risk of getting HIV (this could be a sexual assault, consensual sex with an HIV-positive person, or a discovery that a sex partner was HIV-positive). Although PEP is the current standard of care in occupational and emergency medicine, doctors practicing outside urban settings might be unfamiliar with it.

A similar approach, Infant Antiretroviral Prophylaxis (IAP), is used in babies born to HIV-positive mothers.

PrEP involves taking the HIV drug Truvada when you are known to be HIV-negative. Occasional or "last minute" use does not prevent HIV infection, but daily use is very effective.

A similar approach is used to prevent expectant HIV-positive mothers from passing HIV to their babies.

Use of various HIV drugs for PEP has been recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for about a decade, Truvada for PrEP was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2012, and both PEP and PrEP are recognized by international health organizations.

In case you didn't know, there is a dedicated PrEP forum.

Edited by fskn
Typo

Guest JizzDumpWI

I should add to fskn's post, just because you have sex with an HIV Positive person doesn't mean you're at any significant risk. Another modality is TasP, Treatment as Protection. Poz people on meds who have been undetectable for some time have less chance of passing HIV to partners than condom sex. So in a large degree, it matters whether the poz person you had sex with is on meds and undetectable.

I should add to fskn's post, just because you have sex with an HIV Positive person doesn't mean you're at any significant risk. Another modality is TasP, Treatment as Protection. Poz people on meds who have been undetectable for some time have less chance of passing HIV to partners than condom sex. So in a large degree, it matters whether the poz person you had sex with is on meds and undetectable.

Excellent point, JizzDumpWI.

On a related note, if you elect PEP and can contact your sex partner, the CDC points out that it is helpful to find out which HIV drugs he has used. This is because a range of different drug combinations can be chosen for PEP.

PrEP is simple by comparison, with only one 2-drug combination thoroughly studied and approved so far -- Truvada -- and others currently under study.