Gay Bashing Victim Guilty Of Assault For Defending Himself

rawTOP

my impression is that Great Britain regularly prosecutes home dwellers for attacking burglars, and homeowners who attack "squatters"..

the "right" to attack someone, even if they have they have invaded your home is still hotly contested. As a former rottweiler owner I've kept a close eye on this one (I lost my last rottweiler in November 2011)

however in Great Britain apparently there is an epidemic of people burglarizing homes, registering themselves with the local jurisdiction as residents, and then enjoying legal protection from attack or even eviction when the RIGHTFUL resident returns!

Sorry Tony, but you've been reading too many tabloids. There is a problem with Romany people buyng up land, building on it and the requesting retroactive planning permission, but i don't think it's in the same league as what you're talking about.

The squatting movement in the UK has been mostly political, mostly left wing or anarchist and has paid close attention to the rights of the owner (usually the local authority: it's been very rare for a privately owned home to be squatted). I lived in a number of squats when I first moved to London: we fixed the places up, made them liveable and maintained them. Any hint of a private owner other than a large corporation was enough to make us get out.

The idea of that you could go on holiday and return to find your home squatted was, and continues to be, a fiction generated by a no news day for the right wing press.

that sort of government idiocy is in retreat in the USA, thankfully...but what sucks is that the mere existence of it elsewhere serves as a bogeyman for the US right wing political element.

and ironically the UK right wing look to the US for inspiration...

• 3 months later...

Taking up self-defence is one of the best things I ever did. I know how to look after myself more and feel more confident and don't cringe when an aggressive straight bloke looks at me the wrong way. I took up karate too. Wish my dad had shown me this stuff.