Going on PrEP

j75206

Just giving my initial experience for those thinking about going on it.

I struggled with the decision, im a total top.. Was usually safe, but of course love BB. I always ask status, testing dates etc. But I know people lie, and don't have a clue or use a oral test which have you read the directions? Definitely not on par with a blood test which I get tested for very regularly.

I got a BF, we fuck raw, then he started having me fuck his friend.. Who I found out was poz undetectable later (Drunk fucking which I love and have done lots of silly things in this regard) so in an effort not to get it I did all the research. I started here, then read everything I could get my hands on from giliad. Then I checked my insurance, and without calling I found out I had a 200$ deductible and 35/45$ copay for brand. Then I went to my insurers website and found a handy 2014 PDF that listed what was covered medication wise and found it is covered.

So then I decided to talk to my doctor, which I am fortunate I have found and kept a good gay doctor that I can talk to and get honest feedback on what to do. I just scheduled the office visit to get my STI checks and decided while I was waiting to just ask him. It was a complete 180 from what I thought was going to happen, he was extremely upfront, asked questions, and gave honest feedback of what exactly to expect from it. I was upfront about the sex im having (To a point) and he printed out a Gilead form which he had to go over with me point by point (Taking it every day, sexual practices, you must come in every 3 months for STI testing). He also said they would not prescribe more than 3 months to make you come back in for STI testing.

I signed the form, they drew several vials of blood and by Thursday they will call it in for me. He said the insurance company will most likely contact them to question it but most just approve it.

I went to Gilead and filled out the forms for the copay compensation and got my card so my expense will be minimal:

Possible 200$ deductible per year for the prescription

4 trips per year to Dr for 25$ copay each = 100$

And I will get bills for the labcorp testing which my insurance covers most of it and the bills are usually less than 50$

It will probably cost me 500$ a year to be on it, and that's worth it to me.

There are three options, 1. Don't have sex (Um, No), 2. Have sex and maybe convert and take medication the rest of my life, 3. Take this and reduce the risk, and if my behavior changes, I don't have to take it anymore.

My experience so far...

Guest JizzDumpWI

Check into Gilead's prescription program. I have similar coverage to you. Gilead picks up the copay. It costs me 0 each month.

My experience so far...

Sounds good to me. Seems like you are one of these borderline cases. Being a top you definitely have a lot less risk, but it's not anywhere close to zero, specially if you BB frequently, drunk and with multiple partners. Given you have insurance PrEP is a very smart choice. Just make sure you take it everyday and your chances of seroconversion will be very small. Congrats.

Is it just me or are there SO MANY PrEP threads on here recently? Sounds like it's really starting to take off. I've been off of it since last September because I've been working a lot and haven't had time for sex and also thought it was making me gain weight. May go back on later this year...

Is it just me or are there SO MANY PrEP threads on here recently? Sounds like it's really starting to take off. I've been off of it since last September because I've been working a lot and haven't had time for sex and also thought it was making me gain weight. May go back on later this year...

I just went to my doc today for my regular 3 month check (still fine and neg) and talked to my doctor a bit. When I went on it about 10 months ago, he said he has written a couple scripts at that point. Now he said, and I quote "We are handing it out like candy" lol. They have a brochure for it in their office too.

Im glad to see its catching on.

All to the good, having so many threads on PrEP: it's a pretty new concept and one we need to explore (the second generation of PrEP is already being explored). Weight gain from PrEP is easily corrected by good diet and exercise (I'm speaking from the other side of the fence, being poz). We could stop this bastard virus in its tracks if we maintained adherence to PrEP and TasP (treatment as protection). These days, anyone getting HIV shows education's failure: we have the tools to stop its spread, while maintaining natural sex.

Guest JizzDumpWI
All to the good, having so many threads on PrEP: it's a pretty new concept and one we need to explore (the second generation of PrEP is already being explored). Weight gain from PrEP is easily corrected by good diet and exercise (I'm speaking from the other side of the fence, being poz). We could stop this bastard virus in its tracks if we maintained adherence to PrEP and TasP (treatment as protection). These days, anyone getting HIV shows education's failure: we have the tools to stop its spread, while maintaining natural sex.

Following on bearbandits post... Before PrEP was an option, I serosorted poz guys who were undetectible. TasP can work quite well. We need to be mindful that other infections can lessen the effectiveness of ARV's, in most cases no need to fret that, but worth taking time to talk with playmates. Intercourse is more than just fucking...

Hey guys, Just an update, a week in no side effects. Things are great!!

Good. I think most guys who report side effects are psychosomatic. From iPrEX which was placebo controlled the real side effects happened to very few people.

TasP can work quite well. We need to be mindful that other infections can lessen the effectiveness of ARV's, in most cases no need to fret that, but worth taking time to talk with playmates. Intercourse is more than just fucking...
Talking with a guy about how recently he had a full screening for all STIs is important. I don't mean to lessen that.

But the long held opinion that an STI might make the ARVs less effective, heighten the Pozzies viral load making him more infectious, may well be a red herring. In the preliminary report from the Partner study 16% of the gay couples got STIs. That was about 1/2 of the ones that barebacked with others outside their primary relationship. (No details if that was threesomes, Open Relationship, or "Oppps - He was just so cute") For the straights Pozzies it was 5% for the men, and 4% for the women. The STIs didn't affect their viral loads, or cause the Neg partners to catch HIV. An STI might cause a blip, but most blips are below the viral load of 200, that Partner used for its definition of Undetectable. Current thinking is that the minimum viral load that can cause transmission is 1,000.

Of course we'll have to wait until 2017 for the final reports from both Partner and Opposites Attract to have a better answer on that.

I can see were a Neg guy with an STI would be more susceptible to HIV, when playing with a "Clean" guy, who wasn't as clean as he thought. That guy would have a high viral load. I don't know about Neg guy on PrEP. There must have been STIs in the PrEP studies. I haven't looked into it. Maybe one of our PrEP experts can do that.

Should we call the PrEPxsperts? ;)

Edited by Poz1956

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! Just an update had my one month check, no kidney issues or any thing else for that matter. 6 pages of labs says things are great.

Im still careful with who im fucking. All undetectable and two are on PrEP like me.

Also no notification to Dr. office to question why I am on it. Not a peep. So with the Gilead backup payment its totally free for me. The pharmacist just handed me it. no paperwork.

Also 4 people are on it because of my information (That I know of) they asked and I was honest and up front about it just like I was here and they went and got on it.

Things are good.

Edited by j75206