Buying PrEP

subbitch33

Hi.

I am in the UK and narrowly missed out on getting onto the PROUD trial (whereby PrEP is prescribed for a year as a trial). It was open to 500 men and I registered a bit too late.

Does anyone know of where it can be purchased instead? Like, any websites that sell a course?

I am looking to get on it... but as the trial is closed, looking to explore other ways of getting my hands on some.

Guest JizzDumpWI

subbitch33; the best guy on here to contact would be 'bearbandit'. He is in the UK, in involved in HIV counseling and information. Most likely he'll be replying here sometime today.

Subbitch, there is a generic version of truvada (made in India, I believe) which is chemically identical. It's been mentioned here, so should be available to the search engine. Costs around $78 per month. However, and I can't emphasise this enough, you're going to have to collude with your doctor on getting it. The reason is that one ingredient of truvada (tenofovir) can attack the kidneys. It's a rare side effect, perhaps 1 in 100,000, but an issue I feel strongly about having been the 1 in 100,000. I came within days of death: when they came to take me to hospital for treatment, there was a police car around the corner: had I not gone willingly, I would have been sectioned for my own protection.

The problem is Fanconi's Syndrome (check it out at Wikipedia): basically it causes damage such that vitamins and minerals don't get recycled, just pissed away. Symptoms I experienced were hallucinations (potassium is needed for lucid thought as the firing of a neuron requires an exchange of potassium and sodium). Potassium also regulates the heart beat. My appetite for food went to the extent that I lost a quarter of my body weight, and my bones have decreased in density so that my broken ankle will never heal (see a guy with a walking stick in a leather and it could well be me). Not all this happens at once: a friend has just come off truvada because of thinning bones, but, thankfully, shows no other symptoms. Got a PA? If the bone thinning (osteopenia) happens you'll need massive calcium supplementation: I use to have to remove mine every 10 to 14 days to soak it in white vinegar overnight. Got snowed in away from home and had to remove it for comfort's sake. Now I need to get the closed over hole stretched to get it back...

You need to have your kidney function checked at least every three month and be prepared to come off truvada at the first sign of trouble. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news like this. One thing NOT to do is share someone else's supply: that will only leave you both short. The only thing I can think of is persuading a doctor into an off label use of truvada, for which you'd need the help of someone with a pretty high VL to play your boyfriend (and course he hates condoms, but you're so much in love...)

I really wish I could give you better news: I have heard that there's a vague possibility of the trial size being expanded, so keep an eye out for that... Best of luck to you mate!