Starting a PrEP vacation. Should I NOT wait 4 weeks?

rawfuckr

I'm in the process of starting a PrEP vacation. I got fucked in the ass about two weeks ago by two guys so I'm in the winding down period of daily taking the pill. I have work stuff coming up and I'm pretty sure I won't be playing for a while so I don't see the point of taking this every day.

My question for the PrEP experts around here is if it's really needed I keep taking PrEP for the full 4 weeks after the last risky event. I'm now at two weeks into the padding after the last fuck and it just feels like I could drop it now. I haven't had any fevers or flu's or anything. What do you guys think, is it safe to stop now or should I really take PrEP for an extra 2 weeks?

Edited by rawfuckr

You aren't going to have any fever's or flu like symptoms as PreP is "doing it's "job". I am no expert, but have researched PreP a little as an HIV counselor. I would do as directed and take it the full 4 weeks. on the other side, I would also follow instructions and take for at least 7 days before engaging in "risky" behaviors.

Guest JizzDumpWI

Take for 30 days after last possible exposure. That much time is needed for it to be effective. Then as fillmyholeftl says, get back on it for seven days before your next fuck. Aside from not anticipating play, is there any other reason you want a break? Continuous protection lets you enjoy unexpected play...

• Administrators

Personally, when I'm not very active I just scale back to taking PrEP 4 times a week - Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun. Studies suggest it's 90% effective at that dosage - which gives you coverage if you happen to have sex when you weren't expecting to. I would discourage you from going off it completely.

Aside from not anticipating play, is there any other reason you want a break? Continuous protection lets you enjoy unexpected play...

This is a good question.

Well, I'm just concerned about long term side effects of Tenofovir, kidney function and bone loss. Given the fact I'm not going to be having time for play, why adding the possible side effects when I'm not going to be using it?

Aside from that, I've been taking a few vacations before and I'm now a lot safer when I'm not of PrEP. Being PrEP-less sort of makes the risk of bare fucking be a lot more present in my mind. So even if there was some unexpected hookup I'm sure I'd act on a safer maner.