ACT/UP's Peter Staley Comes Out For PrEP & Against Larry Kramer & Co.

rawTOP

• Administrators
I’m disgusted by the anti-PrEP rhetoric. And if that rhetoric had won the day, we would be completely lost in this fight. It remains so anti-science—including Larry’s comment, calling Truvada poison—and should be called out as such. I think we’re winning now. The anti-PrEP side sounds so hysterical that I really think we’re beginning to at least win the argument with the AIDS establishment, the medical community, and government policy—and in our online debates. But I still remain very skeptical that we’re going to break through HIV stigma.

Source

It's about time the big HIV/AIDS organizations start changing their tune on HIV prevention. Their message has been so out of touch for so long that it's probably caused quite a few infections as they continue to push unrealistic approaches that are based on fear and stigma.

Where I differ with Staley is in the push towards Treatment As Prevention where guys get pushed into treatment quickly after diagnosis. While I'm all for getting guys tested, I think they shouldn't feel pressured to go into treatment immediately unless they want to. His approach, once again, puts the onus on poz guys for reducing infection rates. And when that fails it becomes their fault. IMHO, neg guys should shoulder the responsibility for staying neg. It's their body, their health.

It's about time the big HIV/AIDS organizations start changing their tune on HIV prevention. Their message has been so out of touch for so long that it's probably caused quite a few infections as they continue to push unrealistic approaches that are based on fear and stigma.

Where I differ with Staley is in the push towards Treatment As Prevention where guys get pushed into treatment quickly after diagnosis. While I'm all for getting guys tested, I think they shouldn't feel pressured to go into treatment immediately unless they want to. His approach, once again, puts the onus on poz guys for reducing infection rates. And when that fails it becomes their fault. IMHO, neg guys should shoulder the responsibility for staying neg. It's their body, their health.

I have to say I disagree with you about the push towards treatment. Treating people as soon as they are infecting is good for the individual, and the general population. If helps prevent new infections, and keep the infected individual healthier in the long run. While it is up to the individual, its much better for them too. I get distrust of the medical establishment, however most medications today are well tolerated, and it makes sense to find out sooner rather than later what works for a person. I wouldnt say the "onus" is on poz guys to reduce infection rates, but it is EVERYONES responsibility to know their status, and hopefully take care of themselves, and thus others.

I'm 1,000 % behind Treatment as Prevention and I fully believe it is the strategy of the future for lowering infection rates. And with PreP added to the arsenal, I don't fear pressure for guys to go into treatment is an issue since guys are going into treatment before infection. I really don't think the issue of the pressure to go on meds will be a significant argument now that meds are what they are now. There is absolutely no medical advantage to waiting. None. Anyone who choses to have bareback sex needs to be on meds. That is HIV prevention, pure and simple. It's 2014 folks.