Has anyone seroconverted while on PrEP?

rawfuckr

It's been about two years now that PrEP has been out. I wonder if there is actually someone who it didn't work for them? Everyone says its 99% effective if you take it daily but I wonder if there is actually anyone out there who got HIV even when taking it daily...

Actually, I'm sorta waiting for someone to announce that there's a strain of HIV that's Truvada resistant. BUT - I don't know that the strain would get very far. We're talking about a group of people who are tested every 3 months - so it would be detected early, and they're a group that's happy to take meds - so they'd probably start treatment immediately - meaning any Truvada resistant strain won't get very far - UNLESS - some top with that strain makes it his goal to infect as many Truvada Whores as possible. What's interesting about that scenario is that he could disclose that he's neg and many guys on PrEP would still have sex with him 'cause they think they're protected. So there would be no legal ramifications for his actions.

Edited by rawTOP

• Administrators

During the clinical trials there were seroconversions. Most, but not all, of those seroconversions were people who didn't take it regularly. I suspect the same is true in the general population.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no documented sero-coversions while people were consistently taking PrEP.

It gets a little dicey as it is statistically possible to contract HIV even with a maximum level of PreP in the blood. But it falls into that "not really likely" category.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no documented sero-coversions while people were consistently taking PrEP.

It gets a little dicey as it is statistically possible to contract HIV even with a maximum level of PreP in the blood. But it falls into that "not really likely" category.

IM active in advocating for PrEP, and so far there has been ZERO documented conversions while taking PrEP correctly as directed.

Guest JizzDumpWI

As long as the partygoer was on PrEP enough to have a good blood level before going (figure about a week before the party) and continues on it for 30 days after the party; yes it will still work even if you have been a total whore at a cumunion party.

Guest beezee

This is untrue. In iPrex there were 48 guys who became poz while being given PrEP. 5 had detectable levels of the drug.

In Partners PrEP 7 guys were infected with high levels of drug present (and obviously more guys than that who were given it but didn't take it for whatever reason) .

I wouldn't go giving guarantees just yet. Even the 90-whatever percent effectiveness figures that get thrown around are only the result of a desk study (computer model), real effectiveness is yet to be proven.

Guest JizzDumpWI

What study year (or decade) are you reading? It it didn't come out within the last 2 years, find a more recent paper...

PrEP Reduces HIV Transmission Risk By Up To 99%

"Taking TDF daily 7 days a week yielded tenofovir concentrations high enough to lower HIV risk 99%. Taking TDF 4 days a week yielded concentrations high enough to lower HIV risk 96%. The protection rate slipped to 76% with only 2 doses every week. "

I'm not a statistician nor a medical professional, but everything I've read indicates that no individual who had blood concentrations of Truvada indicative of 7-day dosing became HIV positive during the iPrEx study.

PrEP Reduces HIV Transmission Risk By Up To 99%

"Taking TDF daily 7 days a week yielded tenofovir concentrations high enough to lower HIV risk 99%. Taking TDF 4 days a week yielded concentrations high enough to lower HIV risk 96%. The protection rate slipped to 76% with only 2 doses every week. "

I'm not a statistician nor a medical professional, but everything I've read indicates that no individual who had blood concentrations of Truvada indicative of 7-day dosing became HIV positive during the iPrEx study.

This is Correct. In the IPrEX study people did convert, but no one who had the proper levels of the drug in their system did. Additionally "high levels" does not mean correct levels.

• Upvote 1

Guest beezee
"high levels" does not mean correct levels.

From an article published yesterday analysing drug concentrations at seroconversion, 6 of 31 seroconverters had blood concentrations consistent with steady-state daily adherence. Their estimate of protection, with daily dosing, is 91%. Nothing in there about 100% protection when going wild at sex parties!

From an article published yesterday analysing drug concentrations at seroconversion, 6 of 31 seroconverters had blood concentrations consistent with steady-state daily adherence. Their estimate of protection, with daily dosing, is 91%. Nothing in there about 100% protection when going wild at sex parties!

Can you post a link to the article?