2 weeks of pep

Will spare details on this but I've been exposed to HIV and I am taking ATRIPLA as PEP.

I am having an extremely difficult time with the side effects, don't have Dr.'s or anyone to talk to where I am currently living (I was lucky enough to get the PEP in the first place) but for various reasons I don't think I will be able to take it for 4 weeks.

I have been about a week already, started about 16 hours after the exposure(s).

I cannot find any information on statistics etc for people who have been exposed but taken less than 4 weeks' of PEP.

Does anybody have any information/guidance? Can 2 weeks' PEP still reduce the risk of infection, or is it kind of all-or-nothing?

Guest PozGoat

I feel for you. Med side effects can suck bad. (that can be any med for any ailment)

I know you said in your post that you don't have a doc at the moment. My advice in your case is that you really must find a doctor because HIV meds, even for pep, are really nothing to tinker with, without a doctors total supervision/knowledge etc.

I'm not entirely knowledgeable myself, this is the first time I've heard of Atripla being prescribe for pep. Is that a common pep treatment? I do know Atripla is a very powerful med that has brought perhaps millions of HIVers to undetectable. I always thought it was Truvada for prep and pep. Then again, I'm rather ignorant on the subject.

I'm poz 6-7 years, med free and very healthy.

Guest PozGoat

Can you call a physician? Even if you can't go in person, can you at least call a doctors office and talk to him/her or their staff?

OR

Can you contact any local HIV orgs? They can direct you to discreet local healthcare options/docs/ or helplines that you can call etc

Edited by PozGoat

I can look up the details, but also never heard of Atripla as PEP. How/When are you taking the Atripla ? Who prescribed it if you don't have a Dr ?

Atripla is taken at least an hour + after eating, and best right before bed

I feel for you. Med side effects can suck bad. (that can be any med for any ailment)

I know you said in your post that you don't have a doc at the moment. My advice in your case is that you really must find a doctor because HIV meds, even for pep, are really nothing to tinker with, without a doctors total supervision/knowledge etc.

I'm not entirely knowledgeable myself, this is the first time I've heard of Atripla being prescribe for pep. Is that a common pep treatment? I do know Atripla is a very powerful med that has brought perhaps millions of HIVers to undetectable. I always thought it was Truvada for prep and pep. Then again, I'm rather ignorant on the subject.

I'm poz 6-7 years, med free and very healthy.

Sounds more like some one shared some meds with you. I am currently doing the PEP routine. I got a direct blood exposure to my eyes and mouth about a month ago when my poz partner coughed a mouthful of blood in my face. (He was sick and we were waiting on ambulance to ER.) The doctors started me on TRUVADA & ISENTRESS for 4 weeks. Now I am on viral monitoring for 6 months with blood tests. I have noticed some increased emotional sensitivity, and fatigue.

Definitely talk to a doctor at and ER at least and get started on the correct meds.

Thanks for your responses guys. I was stupid enough to take drugs at a party which made me more than a little hazy. I knew there were barebacker guys there. I'd told them their attitude was fun, but was clear that I don't actually do it myself. I was happy to watch, maybe even play a little, but that was it. Nothing bare. No fucking.

I felt really funny after a while and later learned that while I was slumped and hazy, I'd been injected with crystal meth.

Things are still a little hazy, but I know that two guys fucked me, one more than once, and were using words like "breeding" "poz" etc etc.

I was barely conscious, but I know that much happened for sure.

I am now back where I'm living in a non-English speaking area, not in my native country and with no Dr./health insurance etc. and don't know where else to turn for advice here.

I can take Atripla for PEP that somebody has given to me, but I'm having a massively difficult time with the side effects.

Long story short, I don't see how I can last 4 weeks. I'm in shock over what has happened, and on the pills (I'm 7 days in already) I am very rarely even lucid, never mind able to take care of myself. I think the more immediate danger is of me - in the hazier moments - jumping off the roof or something.

I keep thinking if I can just try and tough it out for even another week, perhaps I'll have reduced my risk of infection enough that I can just stop and get a little sanity/perspective back. I just cannot find any studies or information that talks about anything other than 4 weeks of treatment.

I wonder, if I can't last 4 weeks, am I just wasting time and pissing against the wind already, or is 2 weeks better than none?

Guest PozGoat
Thanks for your responses guys. I was stupid enough to take drugs at a party which made me more than a little hazy. I knew there were barebacker guys there. I'd told them their attitude was fun, but was clear that I don't actually do it myself. I was happy to watch, maybe even play a little, but that was it. Nothing bare. No fucking.

I felt really funny after a while and later learned that while I was slumped and hazy, I'd been injected with crystal meth.

Things are still a little hazy, but I know that two guys fucked me, one more than once, and were using words like "breeding" "poz" etc etc.

I was barely conscious, but I know that much happened for sure.

I am now back where I'm living in a non-English speaking area, not in my native country and with no Dr./health insurance etc. and don't know where else to turn for advice here.

I can take Atripla for PEP that somebody has given to me, but I'm having a massively difficult time with the side effects.

Long story short, I don't see how I can last 4 weeks. I'm in shock over what has happened, and on the pills (I'm 7 days in already) I am very rarely even lucid, never mind able to take care of myself. I think the more immediate danger is of me - in the hazier moments - jumping off the roof or something.

I keep thinking if I can just try and tough it out for even another week, perhaps I'll have reduced my risk of infection enough that I can just stop and get a little sanity/perspective back. I just cannot find any studies or information that talks about anything other than 4 weeks of treatment.

I wonder, if I can't last 4 weeks, am I just wasting time and pissing against the wind already, or is 2 weeks better than none?

Do you have a gay-friendly doc or are you with a doctor that you feel comfortable with?

My advice, drop the atripla. Go to a gay friendly doc and tell him that you were likely exposed to HIV, in fact you're certain that you were exposed and ask for real pep.

A good gay doctor will be understanding and welcoming. Tell him that you were scared of becoming poz and took the Atripla because it was given to you. I think it is very important to tell a doc about atripla. He will need to know. But dont be afraid.

Gay doctors see this stuff commonly. Gay men(me included) are known to do some pretty crazy stuff from time to time. Don't let that discourage you.

Find a doc or call your local gay orgs. They will help you find a good fag doctor.

My doc is a flaming fag. I love him dearly. He takes great care of his patients.

Also, you may have some symptoms of depression too. Please find a doc. Keep us updated and feel free to chat here..

I feel for you. There are some very knowledgeable guys on here who will hopefully be along soon. I think you need to chat privately with one of them to discuss which country you are in and how to access help there. Hang in there.

Do you have a gay-friendly doc or are you with a doctor that you feel comfortable with?

My advice, drop the atripla. Go to a gay friendly doc and tell him that you were likely exposed to HIV, in fact you're certain that you were exposed and ask for real pep.

A good gay doctor will be understanding and welcoming. Tell him that you were scared of becoming poz and took the Atripla because it was given to you. I think it is very important to tell a doc about atripla. He will need to know. But dont be afraid.

Gay doctors see this stuff commonly. Gay men(me included) are known to do some pretty crazy stuff from time to time. Don't let that discourage you.

Find a doc or call your local gay orgs. They will help you find a good fag doctor.

My doc is a flaming fag. I love him dearly. He takes great care of his patients.

Also, you may have some symptoms of depression too. Please find a doc. Keep us updated and feel free to chat here..

Thanks, but I don't have any Doctor. That would have been my first source for help. I'm not living in my native country right now, nor do I have medical insurance. In short, I'm alone save for an internet connection.

I can only hope for whatever insights might be shared on here. I know I was stupid to put myself in danger but I felt safe, and didn't expect this. The situation isn't good and I just don't know whether to give up now or endure it for as long as I can.

Standard prophylaxis:

ISENTRESS(Raltegravir)-2 pills a day + TRUVADA(Tenofovir-DF/Emtricitabin)-1 pill a day YOU HAVE TO TAKE THEM 28-30 DAYS!!!

Ientress-400 mg, daily dose:1-0-1

Truvada-245/200 mg, daily dose:1-0-0

Alternatives:

KALETRA(Lopinavir/Ritonavir),instead of ISENTRESS-4 pills a day + COMBIVIR(Zidovudin/Lamivudin), instead of Truvada-2 pills a day, TAKE THEM 28-30 DAYS!!!

Kaletra-200/50 mg, daily dose:2-0-2

Combivir-300/150 mg, daily dose:1-0-1

If the person who possibly infected you is treated with those and he infected you nevertheless, chances are bad and you NEED another combination ASAP! SEEK A DOCTOR AND DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT INSURENCE. PEP costs some 1800 €(in Germany) or 2500 $-this is a REALLY SMALL PRICE FOR YOUR HEALTH!

EasyPEP in Apple-Store(Itunes I think) for IPhone-no idea if it has English version- 2,69 €

IF you are somewhere in the first world, JUST GO TO A HOSPITAL!!! THEY WILL GET YOU EXPERTS ON IT.YOU WONT GO BROKE ON THIS! JUST DO IT.

Medical staff all over the world understand basic English except for witch doctors in Haiti,Bolivia and most of Africa. How could you be alone, did these criminals robed you after they basically 'raped' you in a certain way? Doctors generally DON'T, I REPEAT:DON'T recommend Atripla/Viraday because of the exact side effects you are experiencing and because the resistance rate against Efivarenz(basic component of Atripla) is high.As I said:

Recommended PEP

1.Viread http://www.hivguidelines.org/clinical-guidelines/adults/antiretroviral-therapy/tenofovir-tdf/

2.Emtriva http://www.hivguidelines.org/clinical-guidelines/adults/antiretroviral-therapy/emtricitabine-ftc/

3.Isentress http://www.hivguidelines.org/clinical-guidelines/adults/antiretroviral-therapy/raltegravir-ral/

4.Epivir http://www.hivguidelines.org/clinical-guidelines/adults/antiretroviral-therapy/lamivudine-3tc/

Alternative PEP

1.Reyataz http://www.hivguidelines.org/clinical-guidelines/adults/antiretroviral-therapy/atazanavir-atv/

2.Kaletra http://www.hivguidelines.org/clinical-guidelines/adults/antiretroviral-therapy/lopinavir-ritonavir-lpv-r/

3.Prezista http://www.hivguidelines.org/clinical-guidelines/adults/antiretroviral-therapy/darunavir-drv/

4.Lexiva http://www.hivguidelines.org/clinical-guidelines/adults/antiretroviral-therapy/fosamprenavir-fpv/

5.Retrovir(seldom) http://www.hivguidelines.org/clinical-guidelines/adults/antiretroviral-therapy/zidovudine-azt-zdv/

IMPORTANT:

DRUGS TO AVOID!!!!!!!!!

1.Efavirenz(component of Atripla) due side effects

2.Nevirapine-side effects and hepatotoxicity(chem. liver damage)

3.Abacavir-hypersensitivity

4.Stavudine,Didanosine-toxicity

5.Nelfinavir,Indinavir - poorly tolerated by many people

Guest JizzDumpWI
Thanks, but I don't have any Doctor. That would have been my first source for help. I'm not living in my native country right now, nor do I have medical insurance. In short, I'm alone save for an internet connection.

I can only hope for whatever insights might be shared on here. I know I was stupid to put myself in danger but I felt safe, and didn't expect this. The situation isn't good and I just don't know whether to give up now or endure it for as long as I can.

Rather than tell us where you aren't, tell us where you are... I feel as though you're playing us. Part of the story won't work. Where on this planet are you? Exactly. It can't be that remote if you have internet.

If you are having this bad reaction now, imagine what it will be if you actually poz. This was not the time to take a shortcut - even if that meant you had to leave where you are and get to a location with a larger med facility. Now you have been on the wrong drug for a significant chunk of the 28 days needed for PEP. If you are going to get in front of this, then put desire, pride aside and get your ass to a proper medical facility. If you do, be significantly more forthcoming than you have been so far...

There are far too many unanswered questions with this story. I'm with JizzDumpWI. On Mount Everest? But with internet...and accessing BreedingZone.

If help is really needed, there are many that would gladly be a resource, but this is not something for playing games with.