Finding a doctor that prescribes PrEP

757neg4poz

Finally saw the ID doc and we did the blood work then. He will call it in at the pharmacy if my tests come back normal. He seems to be of the old school and insists I use condoms in addition to PrEP.

I finally saw the doctor today. he's gay himself, very friendly. He's not old school at all. He even has a tab about prep on his website. He said "we hear a lot of things about prep, I strongly advise you to keep using condoms. In 10 years it may offer a complete protection, but this is not what it offers now. It is just an additional layer of protection. It is useful in case of incident, like condom break or let's say something happened and we don't remember" (while intoxicated  I guess).

I don't know what to think now. I didn't expect him to tell me "go ahead, fuck the way you want" but I wasn't expected also something that adamant.

I finally saw the doctor today. he's gay himself, very friendly. He's not old school at all. He even has a tab about prep on his website. He said "we hear a lot of things about prep, I strongly advise you to keep using condoms. In 10 years it may offer a complete protection, but this is not what it offers now. It is just an additional layer of protection. It is useful in case of incident, like condom break or let's say something happened and we don't remember" (while intoxicated  I guess).

I don't know what to think now. I didn't expect him to tell me "go ahead, fuck the way you want" but I wasn't expected also something that adamant.

Doctors are always going to be on the conservative side to cover their asses. It's also true that PrEP is very new and it's not like it has been here for 10 years to make blanket statements about it. While it does seem that the thing is very effective with daily adherence we need more time or real world use to see how things pan out.

that's true but i expected not such a string statement from him. He prescribed me the medicine without any problem. I'm still surprised it is was that easy. I

I just got my 1st 30 day supply and I'm going to take the 1st pill tomorrow...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You might be surprised which doctors you get the most pushback from.  My new (and first ever) gay primary care doctor shut down the PrEP conversation I'd started today because he thinks it's vital to society to complete the double-blind study I'm in (where I don't know if I'm on PrEP or not).  I'd found the words to articulate that I think I'm getting enough potential exposure to go on Truvada, and he just didn't want to discuss it once he learned that I'm in this study.  This is the first time that I'd told another human being (other than the people running the study), about what I'm doing and how necessary PrEP appears to be for me, and it was as uncomfortable, somewhat humiliating and depressing to realize that I'm just a sack of cells to some doctors who think my best course of action is to not protect myself so some other doctors can see if I get sick or not.

You might be surprised which doctors you get the most pushback from.  My new (and first ever) gay primary care doctor shut down the PrEP conversation I'd started today because he thinks it's vital to society to complete the double-blind study I'm in (where I don't know if I'm on PrEP or not).  I'd found the words to articulate that I think I'm getting enough potential exposure to go on Truvada, and he just didn't want to discuss it once he learned that I'm in this study.  This is the first time that I'd told another human being (other than the people running the study), about what I'm doing and how necessary PrEP appears to be for me, and it was as uncomfortable, somewhat humiliating and depressing to realize that I'm just a sack of cells to some doctors who think my best course of action is to not protect myself so some other doctors can see if I get sick or not.

Find a new doctor.  My doctor prescribed it without even asking me much about my sexual history, because he believes it's critical to reducing conversion rates.  He asked if I was gay, he asked if I had multiple partners, he ran an HIV screen, and he prescribed, no mess, no fuss.

The current PrEP protocols require the doctors to discuss safer sex practices with you, so that is why they still emphasize condoms, not to mention you could still end up with herpes or drug-resistant gonorrhea.

• 2 weeks later...