Kaposi's sarcoma

Guest thehammerman

Hi latinocaliente - welcome to the forum. I see that the above post is your first on the site. However, I'm not sure that you're posting in the correct area. This is the 'straight and bisexual' part of the forum. From reading your profile, you describe yourself as a "Versatile Bottom" - so I'm guessing you're gay. However, I could be wrong - and you might be bi ... Also, you're raising a subject - concerning an illness - that is not something typically discussed in this area of the straight and bisexual forum. I'm not going to move it (without discussing it with someone more experienced than myself) - but you may find that another moderator, or an administrator, moves it. What I will say is, in future please ensure you post in the correct area (rule 2 of the site).

Now, to directly reply … Kaposi's sarcoma is one of a range of cancers that fall under the umbrella name of ‘sarcoma’. These are quite rare. Each specific type of sarcoma is typically named after the tissue it most closely resembles; and each is also graded. The Kaposi's sarcoma is a tumour caused by human herpes virus. The legions associated with Kaposi's sarcoma are often AIDS-related. How a patient receiving treatment reacts to antiretroviral therapy (in particular, HAART) differs depending upon the individual – although such drugs can induce regression of Kaposi's sarcoma. I wouldn’t want to suggest anything here – other than that it’s important you discuss your treatment with your own doctor(s).

Edited by thehammerman

Any guys have experience with sarcoma ?????

Im positive for 10 years ,my cd4 always was perfect and undetectable ,I get diagnostic with SK, someone can explain something about it or had experienced about it?

Karposi's Sarcoma is cause by human herpes virus 8 (HHV8) There are many different herpes virus's out there, and this is just one of them. One o the reasons during the initial years of the AIDS crisis Karposi's Sarcoma was so prevalent in the gay community was because gay men were also transmitting HHV8 to each other, where as in other HIV infected populations like IV drug users and Haitians, they didn't get exposed to HHV8 as much, hence the lack of KS in those populations despite being HIV+

As for why you have signs of a KS outbreak? Its hard to say, but likely due to stress, or some other slight immune system problem. What people don't realize about HIV (especially the bug chasers) is that HIV will cause issues throughout your life, even if you are undetectable and have good cell counts. another example is PCP pneumonia. Roughly 60-70% of HIV+ people will get PCP at some point in their life, even if healthy and undetectable. Ak your doctor what you need to do to control the KS. He may even tell you it will go away on its own.

Standard treatment for KS used to be radio and chemotherapy. Now it's ARVs; could be a sign that your current combination isn't working as well, in which case a change of drugs would be indicated, possibly with a little radiotherapy to help things along a bit if it's somewhere noticeable or on the sole of your foot.