Long Term Non-Progression Explained

• Administrators

Here's an article which goes into some of the new research on "long term non-progressors" (the people who are poz and never get sick or needs meds) - happens about 1 in 200 people with HIV...

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpps/health/best-aids-defense%3A-good-genes-luck-dpgoha-20100702-fc_8445366

I'm a little confused by the article myself. I always though long term non-progressors were the people who were "HIV-resistant" due to a partial CCR-5 gene mutation. The article says it's actually due to cell-surface proteins called HLAs. Maybe the people who are resistant are just slow progressors (as opposed to non-progressors).

Either way, I really think people should know where they stand on these things early on in being poz since it affects their treatment plan. There's no point rushing into meds if you're body can handle things on its own.

I have a friend who's like this. He tests HIV positive (i.e. he does have the antibodies in his blood), but his viral load has always been undetectable with no meds at all, for several years now. I'm not sure if he can infect other people or not (I'd assume probably not).

I think there's a difference between "HIV-resistant" (meaning you just don't get infected) and "long-term non-progressors" (which means you do get infected but, like my friend, can handle it). There's likely different mechanisms (possibly multiple different mechanisms) at work in either case.

IIRC, the feline version of HIV is incredibly widespread (among large cats in the wild), but most cats are "long-term non-progressors."

• Administrators
I think there's a difference between "HIV-resistant" (meaning you just don't get infected) and "long-term non-progressors" (which means you do get infected but, like my friend, can handle it). There's likely different mechanisms (possibly multiple different mechanisms) at work in either case.

My understanding was that a partial CCR5 mutation slowed the replication of HIV in the body and thereby reduced viral loads and slowed the progression. I think I was using the wrong definitely of "long term non-progressors". I was including slow progressors which apparently are a different group entirely.

• 1 year later...

When I tested POZ November 2K4, I was told I had "normal" immunity. Fortunately at that time I had no insurance & was told I didn't need meds. A year & a half later I ran into the Dr who did the anonymous testing who then asked me how my numbers were. At that time I just thought an HIV test tells you if you have been exposed to the virus. I went in to have them done. The CD4 went from 1149 to 1239 & the viral went from 13,700 to 700. In 2K7 the viral was <400 {undetectable at that time}.

In 2K9, I qualified for HIV Vaccination Trial Units part 2 that was looking at non-progressors. A year later I was told I was a "wild-type". I didn't have the gene, nor did I produce the amino acid that other non-progressors did. My lowest viral (139) blood work was sent to the Boston study.

There was an article in the local gay paper that a break through on a cure has been discovered. It seems the HIV virus has a membrane surrounding it that prevents the immune system from fighting it. Once the membrane is removed, the body's immune system can fight it like a normal virus.

I also believe that one should not go on meds unless it is needed. Have had too many friends who tested POZ & went immediately on meds, not giving their bodys a chance to see if they were needed. To this day I have not taken meds, nor do I intend to unless it is needed. My CD4 has fluctuated between 834 and 1535, while the viral fluctuates between 139 and 2040.