The New Chat Feature Does Not Work On Firefox & Chrome

rawTOP

• Administrators

I've discovered a problem with the chat feature - it doesn't work with Firefox or Chrome. I'm going to disable it until I have a solution since taking Chrome and Firefox users out of the mix means it doesn't work for quite a few of you.

Techies - the reason for the problem is this site is SSL-based and the chat application is trying to load things that aren't SSL encrypted. Firefox and Chrome refuse to do that, but Safari will do it.

• Administrators

I am using IE v11 but chat does not work. It's not even visible as an option.

I'm going to disable it until I have a solution…

I'm now revisiting the software I used for chat 3+ years ago. Back then it was crashing the server app (Wowza) that managed all the connections. But it's 3 years later and there are new versions that are (hopefully) more stable. Since I own the licenses it's just a matter of paying to get it integrated with the new forum software. If it works, that won't just be single room text chat, but it will also offer multiple chat rooms and video chat. Fingers crossed.

I'm using Firefox and got it to work just fine. At first the browser tried to block the content but if you click on a little shield icon that pops up to the left of the address bar it gives you the option to temporarily allow the content on that page. I had to do that step every time I logged into chat though, so it wasn't a permanent solution but it did get it to work.

• Administrators

I'm using Firefox and got it to work just fine. At first the browser tried to block the content but if you click on a little shield icon that pops up to the left of the address bar it gives you the option to temporarily allow the content on that page. I had to do that step every time I logged into chat though, so it wasn't a permanent solution but it did get it to work.

Needless to say, that's not a workable solution - people just won't figure out what you did and will think it won't work. But beyond that, the types of things you guys chat about needs encryption and encryption isn't an option on that particular chat platform until next year sometime.

i use Chrome as my main browser - I got in on Friday ..

You must be using an old version. Or maybe things are different on PCs. It didn't work for me on the latest version on the Mac.

Chrome is worth supporting but Firefox has become a bloated, slow, sucky browser over the years. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Firefox is my primary browser. Though I keep 3 browsers open at all times for work purposes - and wish there were 4 or 5 I could have open. Or I wish I could have different logins to the same site in different tabs - but that's just not an option AFAIK.

Yup, I'm using a PC - and Chrome auto-updates when you open it.  But you said something - you use a Mac - so is it possible that there are Java or Flash issues (I get the 2 confused) - Apple/Mac doesn't do either .. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.