Your Old Web Browser Is Why This Site Looks Like Crap…

rawTOP

• Administrators

A few of you have been saying that the new site looks like crap which surprised me. Some said the navigation was terrible. Others said the site was way too bright. I didn't really understand the issues until I did some testing on older browsers. I'm mostly a Mac person and everthing looked decent for me (a few tweaks were needed, but nothing major). Today I pulled out my old Windows XP laptop and looked at it on IE7 and the site was pretty much unusable.

Then I went on a website that lets you see what your websites look like on different browsers. Basically if you're on Windows and using Internet Explorer you need at least IE9. Since IE9 isn't an option on XP, if you're on XP you need to use something like Firefox or Chrome. But you should know that already - lots of sites suck on XP, some SSL certificates won't work, etc.

So, to the 2.42% of you who use IE7 - use a different browser. I mean, hell, it's 2014 already.

To the 5.82% of you who use IE8 - it'll work (more or less), but you'd be much happier on a different browser. You're the guys who are seeing a really bright interface, etc.

Yes, I know we're talking about 8.5% of the visitors to the site, and that's a substantial number, but I just don't have the time to debug a different skin for you guys. All you guys have to do is fire up Firefox or Chrome and your problems with this site (and many other sites) is solved. That's a much better solution than me spending hours to make changes to support browsers that fewer and fewer people use.

Guest JizzDumpWI

I find the new site terrific with Chrome.  IE is pretty much crap no matter which version one uses.  There are some situations where I have no choice, but my standard is Chrome, then Firefox, then if I feel like sefl abuse, IE...   :)

My other common entry point is with my iPAD, but I find that inferior - almost as bad as IE (but not quite).  

• Administrators

My other common entry point is with my iPAD, but I find that inferior - almost as bad as IE (but not quite).

Really? I have an original iPad for testing (a worst-case scenario) and I'm a little irritated that it goes into "mobile mode" in portrait, but when I switch to landscape and reload the page it looks just like the desktop version. Have you tried changing orientations? Do you just not like the reduced info on the page and how things are rearranged? That's sort of necessary for small screens. At least you can turn the screen and see the normal, desktop version.

• 2 months later...

The new version of Firefox 3.1 (currently updating to 3.1.1) still struggles with this site, most recently truncating posts. The formatting tools that I see in IE 11 I don't see in Firefox, and the Post button doesn't work in Firefox. Going to have to maintain two browsers now...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The new version of Firefox 3.1 (currently updating to 3.1.1) still struggles with this site, most recently truncating posts. The formatting tools that I see in IE 11 I don't see in Firefox, and the Post button doesn't work in Firefox. Going to have to maintain two browsers now...

???? Firefox is what I use. I use v33.1 as my main browser, and v35a as a development browser. I haven't seen any significant problems with FF.

• 4 months later...

Really? I have an original iPad for testing (a worst-case scenario) and I'm a little irritated that it goes into "mobile mode" in portrait, but when I switch to landscape and reload the page it looks just like the desktop version. Have you tried changing orientations? Do you just not like the reduced info on the page and how things are rearranged? That's sort of necessary for small screens. At least you can turn the screen and see the normal, desktop version.

Very happy to finally be able to the dates on the replies by switching to landscape.

Is there any way to exit mobile mode in portrait on the iPad?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • rawTOP unpinned this topic
  • rawTOP locked this topic