Should I Still Have Sex While On Pep

freshxtop5

PEP isn't always three meds.  I've read through 6 different PEP guidelines.  With some, depeinding on the doctor's risk assessment, they do have the option of two drug PEP.  But yes, logically spreaking bottoming at a sex party would classify as high enough risk for a three drug regime.

Fresh: Since you know know the Poz guy was on meds, there isn't much of an issue.  Next time you go see the doc, ask him why he only used Truvada.

About the side effects.  They tend to subside after about a week.  Get some generic Imodium and liquid tummy trouble reliever (Pepto, Maylox, Divol etc.)  About 50% of people don't finish PEP because they won't put up with the side effects.  I like to put it this way, how will you survive the rest of your life on three antiretrovirals, if you become Poz, because you couldn't man up and handle four weeks on a two drug "cocktail,"

Ya the side effects have passed the doctor said they were normal. I just had to change my diet a little but I am fine now.

Piggybacking on Poz1956's comment about different PEP regimens, US CDC guidelines recommend finding out which drugs the Poz partner was using and choosing the PEP regimen accordingly (unlike PrEP, for which only Truvada is approved). If you can find out which meds this guy was on, your doctor might modify your regimen or simply -- since it's Truvada -- keep you on PrEP.

I think the school of thought is changing now.  Hell ACON in Australia just put out a position statement with a redefinition of safer sex.  An undetectable viral load, PrEP, and Condoms are all on the same footing - all safer.

It will be interesting over the next couple of years to see if PEP manuals get updated, and downgrade their recommendations if the exposure was from an undetectable Poz person.  My guess is the Aussies will be the first.  Their PEP guidelines are the most advanced I've read.  They take into account viral load and circumcision.  Their current guidelines don't recommend for receptive vaginal intercourse with an undetectable Pozzie.  They also contain a footnote on receptive anal from and undetectable that reads "It is likely that risk is reduced if source viral load is undetectable, however there are currently no data to support this."  With the preliminary Partner data, it seems likely they'll downgrade it to "not recommended" with their next revision.

The thought about checking the med history of the Poz guy, is older knowledge, back from the days they thought we were infectious as hell.  How the world has changed!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The thought about checking the med history of the Poz guy, is older knowledge, back from the days they thought we were infectious as hell.  How the world has changed!

No, it is part of the current U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) PEP guidelines. It is an attempt to avoid prescribing a drug to which the person's virus is already resistant.