Pox And Poz Sex

I've been pos 18 years, and I have bb sex with other poZ guys !! I've actually twisted it around and tend not to date neg guys, cause I'm never going( didn't start) condoms!

However, there a few poZ guys who use condoms with poZ guys.

My doc keeps telling me about this conversion thing and getting a different strain, but is it really a treat

Cheers

Think about it: either your on meds stronger than PrEP which would knock out any strain of HIV, or if you're not on meds, the "local" strain would overwhelm the "invading" strain. I'm given to believe that the chances of getting a second strain and it surviving to co-exist with the strain already present are such that it happens once a year on the entire planet...

I've recently become hiv positive and was wondering about strains also. My case is a little different though. I'm not yet on medication, I was told depending on my cd4 levels I might not need to start medication for a while. I was told during this period I should abstain completely from sex(which I most likely will as I'm kind of down about the whole situation) However, if I was to have bareback sex, who should I go for. I'm a bottom, so would undetectable poz guys be the best option(or would I be at risk of giving them my strain) or if I just have sex with poz guys would I be at risk of developing a stronger strain? If anyone knows, i'd really appreciate a little light on the subject. 

And bearbandit, on a personal note, I've been reading your posts for a while and they always seem considered and well lettered. You seem like a great guy. :)

Well an undetectable guy will generally be undetectable because they are on meds. So there's basically no chance of them getting another strain from topping you.

I think a lot of the talk on this forum about "reinfection"/"recharge" is just fantasy and not at all how HIV works. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I've recently become hiv positive and was wondering about strains also. My case is a little different though. I'm not yet on medication, I was told depending on my cd4 levels I might not need to start medication for a while. I was told during this period I should abstain completely from sex(which I most likely will as I'm kind of down about the whole situation) However, if I was to have bareback sex, who should I go for. I'm a bottom, so would undetectable poz guys be the best option(or would I be at risk of giving them my strain) or if I just have sex with poz guys would I be at risk of developing a stronger strain?

There is no reason for you to abstain from sex! You only agree with that advise because you are depressed which is common for newly pozzed guys.

Many guys have been pozzed for years (I'm one) and have not been on meds, yet have taken buckets of cum, some from guys with resistant strains

The advise for you to completely abstain from sex smacks of homophobia and is very sex negative, even if it was a gay guy that gave you that advise.

Edited by tboyer
  • Upvote 1

I agree, it is a scare tactic that has lost all of it's steam of the yrs. I also understand the depression too, even though i knew i was going to be poz, when i finally found out i was surprised how the news hit me. One can only abstain for a while before your desire grows again and u adjust to being poz. Once you realize you will be fine, there are plenty of people like yourself that are in the same boat, u will feel the need to have sex again, It comes with acceptance. Quit beating yourself up about it and give yourself a break, you are going to be fine!!!

• Upvote 4

Thank you guys for the advice. It was great reading about it from your perspectives. Tboyer, I didn't get that vibe from the nurse, now that I think of it she might have meant abstain from sex while I'm seroconverting, or until I got my Hepatitis vaccine. She talked a lot so I could be confused with what she meant. I got my cd4 count today and it was 650 which I was told was really good. So that cheered me up. Knowing what I know now from you guys, when I do have sex again, at least I won't have to worry about who has hiv before I sleep with them. Thanks again for the kind messages.

I've recently become hiv positive and was wondering about strains also. My case is a little different though. I'm not yet on medication, I was told depending on my cd4 levels I might not need to start medication for a while. I was told during this period I should abstain completely from sex(which I most likely will as I'm kind of down about the whole situation) However, if I was to have bareback sex, who should I go for. I'm a bottom, so would undetectable poz guys be the best option(or would I be at risk of giving them my strain) or if I just have sex with poz guys would I be at risk of developing a stronger strain? If anyone knows, i'd really appreciate a little light on the subject. 

And bearbandit, on a personal note, I've been reading your posts for a while and they always seem considered and well lettered. You seem like a great guy. :)

If you're so down about it why did you have sex without a condom. You should be happy you have the gift not moaning about it. You played without a condom, you got what you deserved. hey though if you want to gift me send me a message. would love to get your aids

Guest JizzDumpWI

If you're so down about it why did you have sex without a condom. You should be happy you have the gift not moaning about it. You played without a condom, you got what you deserved. hey though if you want to gift me send me a message. would love to get your aids

Wow.... Man it is so true, ignorance is bliss! The OP is hardly moaning about converting. He has concerns which is what the thread had been about up until you made your ignorant post. The OP did NOT get what he deserved. And it is clear he did not get what he wanted. He caught a virus. That is all. And HIV is certainly NOT a "gift". It also is NOT a badge of shame. It is simply and only one of many viruses. Next time you post perhaps you can pull your head out of your ass long enough to supply oxygen to what remains of your brain cell.... The one that survived this far in your short life...

Now that PrEP is largely an option in many countries, sadly not the UK yet, bare backers have an option. The majority of Poz guys suggest if one can avoid getting HIV, avoid it. So for many PrEP is an option, and I hope one day everyone will have reasonable access to it. Until then we risk conversion by raw sex, but understand that HIV is a fairly fragile virus, and transmission is hardly guaranteed.

What a nasty thing to say. I don't have AIDS, I have Hiv. Yes I took a risk, still don't think I deserve to get ill because of it. I wouldn't give this to anyone, not even you(dont think i could be in your company for long) But thanks for trying to make me feel worse than I already do

• Upvote 2

Wow.... Man it is so true, ignorance is bliss! The OP is hardly moaning about converting. He has concerns which is what the thread had been about up until you made your ignorant post. The OP did NOT get what he deserved. And it is clear he did not get what he wanted. He caught a virus. That is all. And HIV is certainly NOT a "gift". It also is NOT a badge of shame. It is simply and only one of many viruses. Next time you post perhaps you can pull your head out of your ass long enough to supply oxygen to what remains of your brain cell.... The one that survived this far in your short life...

Now that PrEP is largely an option in many countries, sadly not the UK yet, bare backers have an option. The majority of Poz guys suggest if one can avoid getting HIV, avoid it. So for many PrEP is an option, and I hope one day everyone will have reasonable access to it. Until then we risk conversion by raw sex, but understand that HIV is a fairly fragile virus, and transmission is hardly guaranteed.

Spot on.. I didn't chase.. Didn't fuck without condoms.. Didn't want the virus. But shit happens. I sure as hell wasn't happy to find that I was poz. Nor do I see it as a gift. I've dealt with it and have accepted that I will always have it. But, believe it or not, not all guys that are poz were looking for it or wanted it. dubbugchaser... That wasn't cool. You do not know the circumstances behind his pozzing. So don't make a statement like that without knowing the full story.

As far as getting multiple strains... Since becoming poz, I've only fucked with poz guys. No condoms. I mostly bottom. Been on meds since diagnosis. I've never had a complication. Never been told I have another strain.. I agree with everyone else. I think it's a scare tactic. One that fails, given the many poz guys I've talked with who do not/have not/will not use a condom. Ever. I know it will take some time to process being poz, but once you wrap your head around it, life won't look as dark as it may at the moment. You'll find happiness again. Hang in there. Life is definitely worth living. Poz and all.

• Upvote 4