Great News! New Gilead Tenofovir Has Demonstrated More Favorable Renal And Bone Safety, Will Seek Approval This Year

Pitt1988

I didn't see any mention of PrEP it just refers to HIV infected populations in the article so wouldn't they still have to do studies like they did with truvada on HIV negative people to see if tenofovir is effective at preventing HIV?

I didn't see any mention of PrEP it just refers to HIV infected populations in the article so wouldn't they still have to do studies like they did with truvada on HIV negative people to see if tenofovir is effective at preventing HIV?

The active agent, Tenofovir, is exactly the same, so I don't think they have to redo the studies. I think they are even trying PrEP formulations with TAF/FTC(Emtricitabine) which would be the updated version of Truvada using TAF

• Upvote 1

Hi seaguy, They did not mention truvada, but as we already know; Tenofovir is a component of truvada, so im sure if the studies are related to Tenofovir, it will also apply to the truvada prep combo, it would be great it this can be ready by next year.