How Important Is Video Chat?

rawTOP

What Chat Features Are Important?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How important is VIDEO chat (cams)?

• I mostly just want text chat
    • Video would be nice, but it's not important
    • Having video/cams would be a huge plus
  2. 2. How critical is it for chat VIDEO to be encrypted?

• As long as text is encrypted, video doesn't have to be
    • Video encryption would be nice, but it's not critical
    • Having the video encrypted is really important to me

• Administrators

My most recent attempt to get chat working has failed. Since I'm back to the drawing board trying to figure out what chat package to use, I could use a little guidance…

In particular I'm wondering how big of a deal video chat is to you guys. It basically turns it from just chat to full-on cams. I would think that would be a huge plus, yet when I had it a few years ago most people never turned on their cams - they just stuck with text chat.

One complication is encryption. It's easier to encrypt text than it is live video. If I have video chat, how much should I fight to make sure the video is encrypted?

Anyway, give me some feedback on those things as well as anything else that's important to you when it comes to chat.

• Administrators

I found one other package for video chat, but in multiple places on their site they didn't spell the name of my media server correctly, and they refuse to do refunds if you have problems with the software, and their online reviews are HORRIBLE. So… I'm officially giving up on video chat for now. I'm just going to do textual chat.

I've found an open-source, mobile friendly solution (based on AJAX, not Flash) which I need to tweak to make it better on small screens (I'll make the page layout responsive).

I'm going to put the chat on bbbh.com (the hookup site I'm developing), not here on Breeding Zone, though it will look up your username here to verify your access. There's a huge overlap between the two sites, so there's no point having two chat solutions when it's basically the same group of people. It's going on there instead of here since it'll actually be one chat solution for a whole network of hookup sites (plus Breeding Zone).

I'll leave this post up since I'm curious what you guys want when it comes to chat. If you guys really want video chat I'll keep that in mind and maybe in a year or so I'll find and implement a video/cam solution. In the meantime the hookup sites are my priority.

Honestly, while it would be really awesome to have that feature, i've been enjoying the site thus far without it, so if were not getting it anytime soon i'm personally perfectly ok with that

Nice to have but if people want to chat there is skype, ooVoo, and other apps they can use many like zoom allow groups so it is not like people are being deprived of something if it is not available on here.

I am not really into cam so videochat is not really an option that would enhance the site for me (or bbbh once operational). As Seaguy says there are lots of alternatives. So I would not spend money on software unless there is a strong demand for it.

• 4 weeks later...