**attention: Please Read Regarding Stds!**

My previous doctors have run blood and urine to test me for all STDs and everything has always come back clean, I recently switched doctors two weeks ago and it was the first time a swab test (both oral and anal) was done on me.

I tested positive for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea. I had been tested two weeks before the results as well my blood/urine were clean. And with this occurrence once again, my blood and urine were clean.

My doctor informed me that doctors MUST swab, I have been with several doctors and never been swabbed before for STDs so clearly this is not some standard procedure doctors follow.

PLEASE have all your doctors swab you or the STDs tests do not count. I'm even asking friends who have doctors if they swab and everyone is telling me they rarely get swabbed at all.

I'm glad what I have is treatable, I'm very worried about any resistant strains I might have but I have to hope for the best.

I'm really hoping that someone will read this and get swabbed, I showed no symptoms and there's no telling how long I've had this for at all.[

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the heads up. I first heard about this from my Dr a few weeks ago. Not sure why he never brought it up before as I've been seeing him for years, and he specializes in infectious diseases. I always figured if you had gon or chlamydia anywhere, your blood or urine test would show it but apparently it stays localized so you need swab tests for anal and oral. Urine tests are used to test your dick. It turns out I had chlamydia in my butt. A single dose oral antibiotic cleared it up. I wonder how long I've had that?

Anal and oral gono are often asymptomatic and sometimes do not show up in blood tests. At the same time, my doc (Stanford University Medical Center) told me that the reason swabs are generally not used is that they are often unreliable. I had a case of anal gono a few months back (my fb picked it up at Cum Union: bummer) and it did not show up on the blood test. When the symtoms later manifested themselves I revisited my doc who treated me. (A swab was taken before the treatment which later came back negative.) Go figure.

My doc's standard for me is that when I show symptoms she treats me and then has a blood test done for the record.

Where are you located?  Different countries have different medical standards so it helps people to know where this occurred.

I'm located in Los Angeles. I don't know why there's not a law stating that STD tests MUST include swabs. I've been so vigorous with my testing but because I've never been swabbed I can't pinpoint where I picked these up from.

I once had chlamydia and eventually found out when my but started hurting.  I ignored it for a long time and then I got fukced by a huge dick and ran to the ER the next day thinking I had a tear.  

I normally bottom, but a few weeks ago I topped and had a discharge (first time ever)  from my penis and mild discomfort so I started some antibiotics which I saved up,  I am allergic to penicillin so have to take doxyclycline for a few weeks.   3 days in it's cleared up,  He normally says do a month, but I think 2 or 3 weeks is fine.  It's a pain in the ass cause I'm not supposed to be in the sun, but I have to walk my dogs, and I can't eat any dairy 2 hours before or after taking it. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I live in Canada and the best is to go to a specialized Sexual Health Clinic. They know how what they are doing and their staff is very well trained. Many Canadian cities also have sexual clinics for men who have sex with men. Lots of cruising in these clinics. 

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that some on here think Gonorrhea and Chlamydiae CAN be detected by a blood test is quite scary.  It shows how poor the education and understanding around sexual health is in our community.  Only around 20% getting tested for HIV annually,  Most check for other STIs even less often than they go for an HIV test.  There are an awful lot of people with asymptomatic G & C running around out there.  Every gay man should be vaccinated for Hep A & B.  Neg guys should check for Hep C annually.