Abnormal Anal Pap Smear.

wood

So I had my quarterly checkup about a week ago, and they did an anal pap smear.  They said it came back abnormal, and they would need to schedule me for a exam, to essentially look in my ass.  Considering the amount of sex I have had this past year its not exactly a surprise.  I'm not worried about it, just curious if anyone else has had the same thing happen.  My ass seems fine inside and out from what I can feel, and I haven't had any issues, so I tend to think it may just be a result of my "extracurricular" activities.   

• Upvote 1

You're lucky to be aware of it so soon and so young. I assume they're looking for warts; if not, forgive me for telling my story. I first had internal warts removed when I was 21. Later I read in the newspaper how genital warts could develop into cancer. My doctor assured me that it was a danger in women only, so I was never treated or tested again for many years. Of course that was wrong, and he should never have said there was no risk even if there were no data at the time. As you can imagine, years later my case was more serious and also more difficult to treat. I wish everyone knew that HPV is very contagious, sexual contact is not necessary for it to spread, and anal warts can appear even without anal sex.

• Upvote 1

I've never had one come back abnormal but I applaud you for doing it and sharing it.  As bottoms it is part of our duty to maintain our assholes just the same as a woman would see a gynecologist.  There are so many things that can be treated and cured but only if you test for them.  Anal cancer is higher among HIV positive men and that is my biggest fear.  I stay on top of my health and that includes regular anal pap smears.  I do it for my health but I also want my men to know that I am a well maintained hole.  I think most men appreciate it.

• Upvote 2

Thanks guys.  I may do lots of things but I do try and take care of myself and get regular checkups.  My doc said its fairly common to get an abnormal result back, and its only rarely an issue.  But even if so, that's why preventative checks are so important.  I'm also young and neg, so that also helps.    

My doctor said that he suspects that if more people got them, he would have many more abnormal results. However, few guys get them, as most just stick to HIV tests and maybe STI tests if there are symptoms.  HPV is REALLY common and most gay men are fairly ignorant of it.  

• Upvote 1

So I had my quarterly checkup about a week ago, and they did an anal pap smear.  They said it came back abnormal, and they would need to schedule me for a exam, to essentially look in my ass.  Considering the amount of sex I have had this past year its not exactly a surprise.  I'm not worried about it, just curious if anyone else has had the same thing happen.  My ass seems fine inside and out from what I can feel, and I haven't had any issues, so I tend to think it may just be a result of my "extracurricular" activities.   

Did they run HPV genotyping on your pap smear sample? If it's HPV positive, that it will very likely be, they can also tell how many types you have and if you have any 'oncologic' types. Before you freak out, virtually every bottom out there who fucks raw has some for or another or HPV and even if it went to progress to anal cancer it would take many years, that's why doctors can monitor this over time. In most cases the HPV infection goes away and there is no problem. 

Did they run HPV genotyping on your pap smear sample? If it's HPV positive, that it will very likely be, they can also tell how many types you have and if you have any 'oncologic' types. Before you freak out, virtually every bottom out there who fucks raw has some for or another or HPV and even if it went to progress to anal cancer it would take many years, that's why doctors can monitor this over time. In most cases the HPV infection goes away and there is no problem. 

They did not run that, but as you stated almost everyone has HPV, I'm not worried, more so just curious if anyone else experienced this.  

Edited by wood

I had a suspicious pap several years ago.  It turned out fine.  As a versatile barebacker, I have HPV. (Heck, I've heard numbers as high as 80% of the population may have it.) I've never had problems from it.  I stay on top of my health and have all my exams and tests.  My last pap was also suspicious and will have my follow-up tomorrow.  I'm expecting similar results but still a little concerned (I am nearing 50 years old).  The procedure is mildly uncomfortable during but no problems after.  You'll be fine!  

Edited by hairyone

• 2 weeks later...

I had a suspicious pap several years ago.  It turned out fine.  As a versatile barebacker, I have HPV. (Heck, I've heard numbers as high as 80% of the population may have it.) I've never had problems from it.  I stay on top of my health and have all my exams and tests.  My last pap was also suspicious and will have my follow-up tomorrow.  I'm expecting similar results but still a little concerned (I am nearing 50 years old).  The procedure is mildly uncomfortable during but no problems after.  You'll be fine!  

So I got my results back, and this is pretty much exactly what happened with mine.  Everything was low grade, and all they just suggested getting another pap in 6 months as a follow up.

Keep on top of your health guys.    

So I got my results back, and this is pretty much exactly what happened with mine.  Everything was low grade, and all they just suggested getting another pap in 6 months as a follow up.

Keep on top of your health guys.    

Guys, look at this answer at thebody.com . Very nice explanation of your possible anal pap smear results and how worrisome each one of them maybe:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Cancer/Q140978.html?ic=2003

• Upvote 1

Guys, look at this answer at thebody.com . Very nice explanation of your possible anal pap smear results and how worrisome each one of them maybe:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Cancer/Q140978.html?ic=2003

Good link.  I kinda feel like anyone who barebacks consistently, especially as a bottom will have an abnormal pap at some point, its just so common.  I guess it just a matter of when it happens, and how fast it goes away.

Its kind of does serve as a reminder that yes, PrEP is amazing at preventing HIV, but it only does that.   

Okay, so honestly I'm not drunk or on drugs.  I'm still a warped fuck, but when I read this 'abnormal anal pap smear' I was picturing somebody swabbing a dudes ass with a pom pom or a clown doing the swabbing, something, you know, abnormal.

My head didn't go to abnormal results.

Let's just say it's a good thing I'm not running the county health clinic.

• 2 months later...

Just pinching in on this conversation.

Had a 'High Resolution Anascopy' today. This is essentially a dude with a microscope and a tube that goes into your ass to look the walls of your rectum to see what's up. I was convinced everything was going to be normal, but it wasn't. The following is all inside the rectum, nothing abnormal can be seen from the outside. There were tons of warts that the guy was able to remove/cauterize. But then he found a few areas that didn't look right to him and he biopsied them. He mentioned they were probably AIN1 but they could very well be higher.. not particularly reassuring. Getting results in a bit from the biopsies.

Just pinching in on this conversation.

Had a 'High Resolution Anascopy' today. This is essentially a dude with a microscope and a tube that goes into your ass to look the walls of your rectum to see what's up. I was convinced everything was going to be normal, but it wasn't. The following is all inside the rectum, nothing abnormal can be seen from the outside. There were tons of warts that the guy was able to remove/cauterize. But then he found a few areas that didn't look right to him and he biopsied them. He mentioned they were probably AIN1 but they could very well be higher.. not particularly reassuring. Getting results in a bit from the biopsies.

This is what I had done after my abnormal pap.  

While I am not a doctor I wouldn't worry about it too much, as the link posted above points out, most gay men do not have normal pap's and many will have areas that need biopsied, like what you had done. Warts also happen, most guys have HPV including the strains that cause warts, but not all men get them, and even if they do in many cases they go away on their own, but it can take years, hence why people get them removed.

I also suspect more guys have warts and abnormal cells up there than they think.  I know more than a few times I have fucked a guys ass that feels "grainy" or less smooth than it should and thats a pretty clear sign something might be in there. 

No matter whats its great idea for anyone to keep on top of their colorectal health.   

This is what I had done after my abnormal pap.  

While I am not a doctor I wouldn't worry about it too much, as the link posted above points out, most gay men do not have normal pap's and many will have areas that need biopsied, like what you had done. Warts also happen, most guys have HPV including the strains that cause warts, but not all men get them, and even if they do in many cases they go away on their own, but it can take years, hence why people get them removed.

I also suspect more guys have warts and abnormal cells up there than they think.  I know more than a few times I have fucked a guys ass that feels "grainy" or less smooth than it should and thats a pretty clear sign something might be in there. 

No matter whats its great idea for anyone to keep on top of their colorectal health.   

I'll find out next week what's going on with the biopsies. 

My warts were all inside and they were impossible to see from the outside. They should be gone now because he cut them off.. yay! I'm sort of surprised that this HRA procedure is not performed more often. Seems easy enough, and the disease with serious enough complications to warrant more common screening.

Doctor was mentioning the case of a patient that came it at 80 years of age, and not been fucked in 40 years. It didn't matter, because 40 years before he got the HPV infection in the area and after 4 decades it had developed into cancer. Had they caught it a lot earlier it wouldn't have been so much of a problem.

I'll find out next week what's going on with the biopsies. 

Got results back and of the 3 areas biopsied 2 came back with AIN1. They happened to be the areas where the warts were located so it makes lots of sense. The third area was negative for dysplasia. Because doc excised the warts hopefully I could get a normal HRA next year whenever it's due?

I'm vaccinated with Gardasil and planning on getting Gardasil-9. If I've been reading correctly, and no one seems to make any emphasis on this, Gardasil will prevent further HPV infections in other areas where you weren't infected, in current infections it does nothing. So if you get your lesions excised, does that mean they won't come back ? I hope that's the case. I'm now scheduled for a follow up in a year.