What To Expect

Guest TravelGuy4Bareback

I received the script the day I went back for my follow-up lab appt. Free and on the spot. Too easy.

No physical side effects over a month, but here's a side effect I have, GUILT.

I feel guilty when I tell a person who is positive that I am on Prep. I really try to avoid it. 

sorry

Maybe its a generational thing, since you are older, and saw so many guys die that you feel that way.  Most poz guys I know welcome PrEP because it takes way so much of the fear of rejection, and stigma.  

Not to sound callous, but if you didn't infect them, there is no reason for you to feel bad.    

Maybe its a generational thing, since you are older, and saw so many guys die that you feel that way.  Most poz guys I know welcome PrEP because it takes way so much of the fear of rejection, and stigma.  

Not to sound callous, but if you didn't infect them, there is no reason for you to feel bad.    

I have a friend who seroconverted a couple of years back and I'm sure he at least feels funny about becoming HIV+ right before PrEP came online. It has to suck. But it can't be changed so at this point PrEP is more welcome than anything. He does tell me he loves guys on PrEP because he knows he can't infect them. He'd rather fuck with a PrEPed guy than with a 'negative' or 'unknown'.

I have a friend who seroconverted a couple of years back and I'm sure he at least feels funny about becoming HIV+ right before PrEP came online. It has to suck. But it can't be changed so at this point PrEP is more welcome than anything. He does tell me he loves guys on PrEP because he knows he can't infect them. He'd rather fuck with a PrEPed guy than with a 'negative' or 'unknown'.

Yeah I have a friend who became infected in Aug or Sept of 2012.  PrEP became available in July of 2012.  If there would have been advertising he most likely would have been on it, but because there was so little publicity he just didn't know about it.  He's still a huge advocate for it now.     

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TravelGuy4Bareback

So I am at 30 days of using PrEP. I only missed one day and that was due to an unexpected night in a hotel away from home. As stated above, I have seen no side effects at the moment, which is good.

Today I decided to look at my health plan for the new year. Since it is a new year, the deductibles reset and everything starts over. Well, that's the issue now. My deductible is $2,600. So when I go refill my prescription in late February, I will have to figure out how to come up with $2,600 for my PrEP. Now, after that first $2,600, the cost for a 90 day supply drops to a reasonable $75. So what do to???

So I am at 30 days of using PrEP. I only missed one day and that was due to an unexpected night in a hotel away from home. As stated above, I have seen no side effects at the moment, which is good.

Today I decided to look at my health plan for the new year. Since it is a new year, the deductibles reset and everything starts over. Well, that's the issue now. My deductible is $2,600. So when I go refill my prescription in late February, I will have to figure out how to come up with $2,600 for my PrEP. Now, after that first $2,600, the cost for a 90 day supply drops to a reasonable $75. So what do to???

Monthly cost is about $1400 and Gilead will pick up up to $300 every month. So you have to suck up that deductible in a couple of months. Then it's free after that. A plus is you don't have deductible for anything health related for the rest of the year...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys... I have a question. Do we know of any cases where someone taking PrEP (as directed), did end up with HIV? I am considering asking my doctor about this next week. Thanks!

Hi guys... I have a question. Do we know of any cases where someone taking PrEP (as directed), did end up with HIV? I am considering asking my doctor about this next week. Thanks!

Short answer:

probably not.

Long answer:

From the studies, that have been able to measure adherence strictly not relying on verbal reports, no gay man who has taken Truvada daily has seroconverted. There are however plenty of cases of people who did seroconvert and had Truvada in their system meaning they had taken some dose in the weeks before seroconversion but it can't be established how well they were taking it. What's most, there are definitely cases of people who were taking truvada and developed resistance to it while taking it. A study just came out about this and  one woman seroconverted and got resistance likely from being on PrEP. May not be the same for gay men. Rectums get much higher concentrations of this stuff. We don't really know how well this woman was taking the pill. In all, still a bit early to know but the right way to look at it is that it's not 100% failproof. Some people will seroconvert. Even when this offers a great deal of protection you choose how much you want to push your chances

You CANNOT develop resistance in the absence of the Virus.  That being said, unless HIV is undetected at the time PreP is prescribed, or due to compliance issues a person seroconverts resistance can't develop.  If you are tested properly prior to beginning PreP, and take it reasonably properly... you won't develop resistance.

You might be interested in this infographic that unpacks the numbers from the iPrEx-OLE study of PrEP's effectiveness.

Check out especially column 1 in the infographic: http://www.thebodypro.com/content/75017/taking-a-look-at-prep-by-the-numbers-unpacking-the.html

The take-away was this: Nobody who took PrEP at least 4 days a week contacted HIV during the study. Those who took it less often still reduced their risk substantially too. 

Mathematical models based on large-scale trial data show PrEP's effectiveness at up to 99% when taken every day. (And remember, no credible scientist would ever say something is 100% certain so that's as certain as it's gonna get.)

• 1 month later...
Guest TravelGuy4Bareback

So went for my 90 day follow-up appointment. It was actually more like an 75 day follow-up. Everything seems to be fine. Doctor just asked if I had any side-effects, did HIV test and wrote the next 90 Rx.

My insurance changed this year and requires a $2,600 deductible to be met before they start to cover anything. So coming up with the money was going to be impossible. I called Gilead and asked for help. They sent me to Partnership for Prescription Assistance. They are a grant program to help cover what insurance doesn't cover. If you meet their income requirements, you get a $4,000 grant to cover your prescription needs. So that will pay for my deductible and maybe my whole year of PrEP. Feels good to get that off my back.

• 2 years later...