Social Media Can Be Freaky

drscorpio

• Moderators

I was just on Facebook looking at various things. Off to the side, they had a list of "People I Might Know." Normally, I see people there who I do know but don't want to be friends with or people I do know who have recently joined the site.

Usually, I have common friends with these people, so I know why FB thinks I might know them. But tonight, there was a guy on the list I had no common friends with. He looked vaguely familiar, so I checked out his profile. It turns out to be a guy my husband and I tricked with once maybe 4 years ago. On top of that, we were both traveling when we hooked up - My husband and I were visiting his mom in East Texas, and the trick was moving on to Colorado the next week. We never traded email or phone numbers; all our communication was on A4A. How the fuck did FB figure out I might know him?  :confused:

Web Crawlers(the programs that do nothing but search websites) can find all kinds of shit. OR and most likely facebook has spyware and it can read your cookies which has random info in them, but sometimes may have user settings, user name, email address,especially if you do things like "save passwords" Or if you have Autofill turned on so the computer remembers common texts for certain input fields like your name, email and home address so when you come to a page you need to fill in that stuff it fills it in with autofill. or it can read the page source of a page you're on and sometimes depending on how the page is coded and whats on the page like your user account page it can find your email address.To show you your user account information that info gets coded into the page when you choose that page, it fills in your info in the corresponding fields. Its only there for the time you are viewing the page as it goes in when you pick that page (The page is a template for every user and it just inserts the pertinent info on the fly. and is gone when you click off of it. EXCEPT! In your temporary Internet files.Browsers save a copy of every page you load and keeps the ones you visit often and that folder can be scanned. In Internet Explorer in the advanced settings there is a box to check that will empty that folder every time you close Internet Explorer and then delete your history. Chrome and Firefox dont have that option and the only way to do it is to clear your browsing history and cache. And you would have to do that every time you used it.  BUT it still could have just been a total coincidence. But the crawlers/phisers/malware/virus might have associated you with A4A and associated him with A4A and then just made a random suggestion. 

In my people you may know its usually people that are in my friends friends lists or they are in the same group I'm in. It does sometimes show me people that I dont know. But Facebook has a policy that you cannot send friend requests to total strangers.You need to have some sort of connection to the person. Thats why when you GET a friend request it asks you if you know the person. If you say NO and several others say no to that person they will lock your account from adding friends and send you a bitch note. I had it happen to me, but the thing is, if I dont know the person I'm not sending a friend request, so everyone that I have ever sent a friend request to is someone I know or knew from my life at some point and enough of them said no they didnt know me to get flagged, I thought WTF LOL. They do that so you cant go and just randomly start friending a bunch of random people you dont know. Thats why I think somehow someway FB either did a 1 in a billion coincidence or it connected you somehow somewhere something connected you. One way would be if you use Yahoo for email and chatted on messenger, or used something like KIK because you have to give an email address for stuff like that.... 

I'm going to pay more attention to the people I may know that I dont LOL. I hate that feature anyway, especially because it keeps showing the same people OVER AND OVER no matter what you do....ugh

So dont freak out and think you're info is just every where (it is) the important stuff like credit card numbers are only used when on a secure page which is "SHTTP" normal pages are just HTTP. S is for secure and encrypted.

OH and dont forget any info that gets sent across the net can be intercepted, read and sent on its way in less than 1/4 of a second. Your ISP Scans everything looking for illegal stuff among other things. It also reads your emails as it looks for SPAM :)

• Moderators

Thanks for the thorough reply. 

I talked to my husband about it. He thought we had texted with the guy, so that would mean he knows my phone number which is associated with my FB account. That's probably the connection.

• 9 months later...

I met a guy at a sex club in NYC and hooked up. We didn't even exchange names much less contact info. The next day I got a friend request from him. It freaked me out, but I do get recognized from my videos so I guess its a good thing. I still haven't gotten used to being internet famous lol.