Truvada Before & After Sex Can Reduce Odds Of Hiv Infection, Study Finds

PrEPpedForCum

BY MARILYNN MARCHIONE 
AP CHIEF MEDICAL WRITER

SEATTLE (AP) -- For the first time, a study shows that a drug used to treat HIV infection also can help prevent it when taken before and after risky sex by gay men.

The results offer hope of a more appealing way to help prevent the disease beyond taking daily pills and using condoms, although those methods are still considered best.

The study, done in France and Canada, is the first to test "on demand" use of Truvada, a pill combining two AIDS drugs, by people planning to have risky sex. The uninfected men who took it were 86 percent less likely to get HIV compared to men given dummy pills.

Read more here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MED_HIV_PREVENTION_PILLS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Interesting article.  However, if that is true.  How come for people who take the pill daily its suppose to take at least 7 days to be fully protected?  Some articles even 20 days.  I finally got my first prescription and took my second pill last night.

Interesting article.  However, if that is true.  How come for people who take the pill daily its suppose to take at least 7 days to be fully protected?  Some articles even 20 days.  I finally got my first prescription and took my second pill last night.

It's not clear at all the protection in this study came from the pills right before and after sex, or rather from the accumulated effect over time. The average intake by people in the study was 4 pills/week. Protection observed was 86%. This is right in line with previous studies at 4 pills/week.

I definitely plan on sticking to the daily dosage.  Sex sometimes happens spontaneously so I find this "before and after" rather complicated and feel it will put people at a lot more risk of converting positive while being on PrEP.  

I was just wondering if this new study means that one does not have to wait 7 - 20 days when first taking truvada until its "ok" to engage in bb sex.  I took my first pill on Friday and I guess I might go by the 7 day rule and possibly have sex on Saturday if it happens.  I am usually a light weight with medications and experience every side effect on the books.  The only side effect I have on truvada is trouble sleeping. But that will probably get better. I should maybe just take it in the morning instead of right before going to bed.  

Edited by mascbttmHI

I definitely plan on sticking to the daily dosage.  Sex sometimes happens spontaneously so I find this "before and after" rather complicated and feel it will put people at a lot more risk of converting positive while being on PrEP.  

I was just wondering if this new study means that one does not have to wait 7 - 20 days when first taking truvada until its "ok" to engage in bb sex.  I took my first pill on Friday and I guess I might go by the 7 day rule and possibly have sex on Saturday if it happens.  I am usually a light weight with medications and experience every side effect on the books.  The only side effect I have on truvada is trouble sleeping. But that will probably get better. I should maybe just take it in the morning instead of right before going to bed.  

Tenofovir levels accumulate over time and peak in the rectal area around 5-6 days, thus they ask for 7 days before risk events. Other areas could be much slower, It's clear now that PrEP doesn't work so well for women but its perfect for receptive anal sex. Even when levels peaks at the 5 day mark you have some sort of protection probably since hours after swallowing the first pill. It just won't be as good as daily usage after a while.

Edited by rawfuckr