Bbrt My Status: Positive/undetectable

hungry_hole

Not sure but positive usually means not on meds and undetectable means on meds.  Some are just stupid, to me, like don't know or don't care.  Either of these seem to be--who the hell knows and I am too lazy to really know.  Just my opinion on those.  Negative could be anything as I see many that say Neg but then put down a testing date a year ago, so they really have no idea either.  To me if you put down Neg your testing should be less than a month ago and then say when or if you got loaded by anyone since.

• Upvote 2

For me positive can mean not on meds or not sure about their viral load or just don't change their status. Undetectable to me means they have a stable low viral load. Of course they can lie about their status.

As far as I've seen, positive means not on meds, undetectable means it's just trace, neg of course means negative, and now I'm starting to see Neg+PREP, meaning we've got those now using PREP.

The ones that have the "ask me" or "do not care" are the wild cards where the "ask me" are usually the lazy ones who don't take the extra few minutes to properly fill out or (on few occasions) forgot a detail in their profile.  Too many I've seen for the former than the latter.

Too me on the BB sites they shouldn't even have an option where you disclose your status. Im pretty sure some guys lie about their status anyway and if you are BB'ing all the time its inevitable anyway that you become poz. Its more fun and I get more of a rush not knowing. That and as a slutty bottom I am here to take your loads and get you off and if you are poz...then you are poz lol Doesnt make your load any more or less important then anyone elses but thats just me :P

Edited by twink-hearts-loads
  • Upvote 1

For me positive can mean not on meds or not sure about their viral load or just don't change their status. Undetectable to me means they have a stable low viral load. Of course they can lie about their status.

Pretty much, Positive means infected, and any anount of viral load, whereas undetectable means their HIV is controlled usually with medication. 

Being HIV positive is like being pregnant: You either are, or you aren't. There is no "kinda pregnant" or "kinda poz."

I think BBRT added "undetectable" as a status to appease poz guys who simply can't bring themselves to announce that they are poz. Perhaps identifying themselves as "undetectable" helps them feel better about themselves. To me, it reflects a self-loathing sentiment and a desire to imply that "undetectable" guys are different from (perhaps even better than) "positive" guys.

Even if being "undetectable" means there is less risk of HIV transmission - and even that is uncertain, since your status as "undetectable" is only as good as your most recent test - the irrefutable fact remains that you are still poz. My hope would be that guys who are poz simply accept it and deal with it - and stop perpetuating stigma against guys who have HIV.

The November 2014 issue of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) publication Vital Signs (November 2014 issue) includes data that I found to be shocking:  

Only 30% of People with HIV in U.S. Have Undetectable Viral Load

(article from HIVandHepatitis.com December 2014)

After reading this I was curious and did a few searches on BBRT to see if the self-disclosure reflected the science; I wanted to see how many people's profiles list his status as Undetectable compared to Poz compared to Poz + Other,  Yes, it's not very sophisticated but interesting nonetheless. 

Note: If the results of a BBRT search yield over 500 results it simply says "more than 500" rather than the actual number so I picked States accordingly

Here's what I found:

Maryland:

Undetectable 297

Poz 81

Poz + Other 5

Connecticut:

Undetectable 160

Poz 36

Poz + Other 1

Indiana:

Undetectable 268

Poz 95

Poz + Other 5

Minnesota:

Undetectable 464

Poz 129

Poz + Other 0

Michigan:

Undetectable 371

Poz 127

Poz + Other 7

While the latest credible data documents that only 30% of Americans with HIV have Undetectable viral loads, people's BBRT profiles seem to indicate circa 80% of it's members are Undetectable...Something is rotten in the State of Denmark