How Common Is Dual Infection?

16 people have been reported in scientific papers to have superinfection per this informative article http://caps.ucsf.edu/archives/factsheets/superinfection

I long ago decided if I convert I am not going to worry too much about taking other poz loads and possibly gettting a diffderent strain if it happens it happens but to me poz guys gotta look out for each other and that includes frucking one another always raw.

Guest ff-whole

I am hopefully still negative although I have had a few bare loads since my last test... No flu or anything but you never know.

However, if - and i hope to postpone it as long as possible (can't have prep here unfortunately), but if i become hiv+ I would definetely pig out completely and don't worry about anything else, except not taking sick and puss infested dicks...

I am not seeking the bug, and as soon as I can get on Prep, I will... But just saying...

• 1 month later...

I'm afraid that the paper you quote, seaguy is dated 2006, making it nine years old. In HIV terms that's ancient history. Latest I heard on superinfection/reinfection was last year from the charity I used to volunteer for (the usual boring not agreeing with their methods and stuff) where the news was that superinfection happens maybe twice a year in the entire world. Mutated virus is weakened virus and someone on treatment is effectively on superPrEP so a mutated virus would be wiped out immediately. So even if the virus mnanaged a foothold in someone's body, their drugs would wipe it out.

Drug resistant virus happens occasionally, but with the aim of treatment being to keep someone undetectable, they start monitoring drug levels etc (in the UK, at least) every time you have a blip, even though it takes a viral load of 1k to do a resistance test. I have a pretty bad record of resistance and side effect issues, so much so that I'm on salvage therapy, waiting for whatever new drugs come along, but even I manage (most of the time) to have an undetectable viral load. The highest it's been, including in 2012 when my drugs conspired to try to kill me, is about 150, and the general rule is that it takes a VL of 1k to be slightly infectious...

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
Guest BBBoyfromTN

Dual infection is still pretty rare but becoming more common as poz guys bareback. Bud of mine has two strains. Don't usually talk poz that much, not in a support group, not on meds.