• 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...

PART TWO

It had been about six years since I'd been raped in the toilet block. I'd spent the next few weeks in absolute fear of what had happened to me there and I half-knew what to expect when I went to get my test results back. My worst fears had been realised when I found out that I was now HIV positive. I got referred to a clinic where they gave me the usual talk about it not being a death sentence any more but I couldn't help but think that my life had been ruined all because of one fateful late night run.

I was given my prescription for medication to ensure that I was undetectable which I kept up and travelled for the next few years from place to place. I didn't tell my family and didn't want to share my life with anyone because how could I? What woman would want to be with an HIV+ guy knowing I couldn't give her kids? By the time I returned, both of my parents had died and being the wonderful but very needy person that she is, my sister had found refuge in the arms of someone from her work.  From all I'd heard her say about him he sounded a pretty manipulative piece of work but she seemed happy so that was the main thing.

On my return home, being pretty much penniless, she was very pleased to tell me that she'd signed a contract and got me a job for a year as basically a personal assistant for her boyfriend.  I was neither here nor there on it but thought it'd be a good way to save some money before travelling again & my money starting to run out also meant that my prescription was starting to run out too.

I was due to start my new job on the Wednesday (that's when their pay period started) when my sister invited me round for dinner with her & her new beau (& my boss) on the Monday night.  I'd hoped that we were able to do it on the weekend but Kathy said that Bruce was always away on weekends with work and that he could only do during the week. I was a little nervous knocking on her door to meet them but Kathy ran to the door & wrapped me up in a big hug & introduced me to Bruce who I had to say, looked pretty intimidating.

"Really pleased to meet you Bruce, and thankyou so much for giving someone like me a job without an interview or anything!"

"Hey, that's no problem at all, Kathy's told me all about you & she shows me all your pics on Facebook & Instagram. With everything she said, I knew I had to have you."

As the night wore on and the wine flowed freely, parts of their relationship just didn't add up. Kathy had never been around to Bruce's place, AT ALL, and he always seemed to be busy on weekends. He said that it was because he was doing work on his place, "as a project" and that kept him busy on the weekends when he wasn't away from work. I could understand that might have happened for some of the time that they were together, but the whole time? It just felt weird. While Bruce was getting something for dessert, I asked her if there were kids or marriage on the cards and she said that they were still using condoms as Bruce said he didn't feel ready for kids at this stage. That also struck me as weird but Kathy said Bruce wanted to make sure nothing untoward happened, but like I said, she seemed happy. I also had the feeling that I'd met Bruce somewhere before but I just couldn't place where. I'd probably run into him somewhere at college or something like that.

It was getting late and Kathy had gone to the bathroom, I decided that I should probably leave too so that I could get a couple of good nights' sleep before starting work and I didn't want to get too messy in front of my new boss.  "C'mon, stick around for another glass. I can open a new bottle if you'd like?" Bruce asked me as he was looking in the fridge.

"Nah, I'm good. I should probably hit the road before it gets too late."

"Ah that's a shame Ryan. Are you.........POSTIVE?" As he said that last word he stood bolt upright, and looked me dead in the eyes, a devilish glint in his eye and a massive smirk on his face.

Oh no......that voice....IT'S HIM!!!!!

END OF PART TWO  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1