Tattoo Symbolism

bttmsubslut

The POZ symbols are generally a +, biohazard, scorpion, black widow or looped red ribbon.

I've seen variants on the rainbow and pink triangle (harkons to the Holocaust when gays were tattooed with a pink triangle. Since it was still illegal for gay people to talk about the Holocaust until 1996, not too many stories are known. Since Berlin was The Castro of Europe, there were a lot of our fellow boys executed and sent to camps)

I don't know of any other standardized symbols, just extentions of the Hanky Code (colors for various fetishes).

Maybe we need guys to pay attention at next IML or Southern Decadence...

• 2 weeks later...

Just something I was wondering. Today I was out at a store and the guy behind the counter helping me had a red biohazard tatt on his right arm just a couple of inches above his elbow. I saw it right away and it made me wonder if he got it because he was poz.

I have seen plenty of biohazard tatts on guys before, but they are usually in places that you wouldn't see in public (back, abdomen, etc). This guy had his sleeves rolled up and it was clearly visible. He had a bunch of other tatts too.

I know that theoretically, anyone (neg or poz) can get a biohazard tattoo, but I was wondering if it is the type of tattoo that guys would get pretty much only if they are poz. So I guess another way to word my question is... Is the biohazard tatt pretty much exclusively only done by poz gay guys, or are there other meanings to it that people could get it for otherwise? I don't know much about tattoo culture and what different tatts mean.

• Like 1

I think it depends where you are at. Here in Palm Springs most likely a poz gay man. However, there is an American heavy metal band named biohazard. I think think that's why some guys will have "poz" under or in the tattoo. At the bathhouse when I see a guy with a bio tat, I figure he's poz.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I think if a guy has a biohazard tattoo, you are pretty safe in assuming he is poz (even guys who bb don't usually get those unless they test poz). Maybe like 1% chance a guy would get it for other reasons, but really think it is overwhelmingly a tattoo that poz guys get.

• Upvote 2

There can be other reasons...maybe they just like the design (similar to guys flagging certain hanky colors and when you ask, they say...ewww, no way, I'm not into THAT...then why are you flagging...it goes with my outfit.

With the popular Zombie Apocalypse,  biohazard symbols are common. But that said, most likely they are Poz. But with anything, like hankies, use it as a conversation started...cool tat...any meaning?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I know two guys, one gay, one straight, who both have biohazard tattoos and neither of them are poz. The straight one works in a BSL 3 facility and the gay didn't know what it meant when he got it (18) he just liked the design

In the gay community I would say it does, straight not so much.  But a gay guy who goes and gets a bio hazard tat and then try's to say he had no idea it meant poz is either a liar or a fucking idiot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...