Pill To Prevent Sti's

A new study just came out showing that a daily dose of 100mg of Doxycycline can prevent Chlmydia, gonoreaha, and syphillis. My doctor gives me a 10 day dose of Doxycycline to take after a night at the baths or a night at Slammers or a sex party, so I don't think I'll go for a daily dose since I don't take loads on a daily basis but this is very good information for those of use who are at high risk of picking up and passing along pesky infections due to high risk behaviors such as bareback sex.

http://betablog.org/daily-antibiotic-protects-against-chlamydia-gonorrhea-and-syphilis/

• Upvote 1

But taking it daily will surely lead to a problem with resistance. This seems like a very, very bad idea, particularly for poz guys, who may need all the arrows in the quiver when faced with a staph infection. 

A new study just came out showing that a daily dose of 100mg of Doxycycline can prevent Chlmydia, gonoreaha, and syphillis. My doctor gives me a 10 day dose of Doxycycline to take after a night at the baths or a night at Slammers or a sex party, so I don't think I'll go for a daily dose since I don't take loads on a daily basis but this is very good information for those of use who are at high risk of picking up and passing along pesky infections due to high risk behaviors such as bareback sex.

http://betablog.org/daily-antibiotic-protects-against-chlamydia-gonorrhea-and-syphilis/

But taking it daily will surely lead to a problem with resistance. This seems like a very, very bad idea, particularly for poz guys, who may need all the arrows in the quiver when faced with a staph infection. 

Doxyclycline has long been used as a preexposure prophylaxis.  Its used as a an antimalarial, and as a maintenance antibiotic for treatment of acne, so daily long term usage is nothing new for this drug.  I myself was on it as a teenager for two years to treat acne.  

Also I disgree with the resistance argument.  Resistance comes with incomplete treatment, not steady usage.  The main danger here is the same as PrEP.  People forgetting to take it like they should.  That will lead to resistance.  

Do I think this is something that should be implimented on a large scale? no.  PrEP for HIV is much different because its not curable.  With that said I could see it being useful for a few weeks at a time when people may be exposed to lots of different pathogens.    

• Upvote 2

I'm with wood here - it's incomplete treatment that gives rise to resistance. Too many people stop the antibiotics (saving them up for next time?) as soon as the symptoms go away, unaware that they're still infected. The infection naturally recurs, and with each incomplete attempt at getting rid of it, it adapts to the presence of what is, in effect, poison to it. "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" is pretty apposite in this situation.

Whether it's clap or bronchitis or a stomach ulcer caused by helicobacter pylorii, always complete the full course of treatment or you're making trouble for yourself (and others) further down the line.

Very interesting. I'll be discussing this during my upcoming labs and doc apt. Thanks for posting.

Its important to remember this is just a study, not an FDA approved treatment, so I doubt you will see many doctors prescribing it yet.  With that said, I know at IML last year there were more than a few doctors that were dosing themselves during the event.

Also not to put too fine a point on it, but there's probably a good chance you should be on ARV treatment first.  Any good doctor would address that first.   

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

It's weird that I am prescribed a tetracycline drug for daily use for a skin condition - apparently this can protect me from thrush, syphilis and gonorrhea. I'll be on it for the rest of my life. 

The worry I have is that there is a new drug-resistant strain of gonorrhea.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. Could be great for the full time hypersexual folks.

People are known to go on anti biotics when they're going on vacation or intend to go to a bathhouse. I think that's a good idea.

I wouldn't wanna be on them full time. I can "feel" when on antibiotics (nausia, intestinal, etc). Knock on wood, I've been fairly lucky avoiding STD's so far and as long as I'm symptomatic and know to take care of something ASAP, I don't mind risking it a bit. 

If only they'd eradicate HPV, we'd be all set.

Edited by topstud127

• 1 month later...
Guest Gloryholee

It's weird that I am prescribed a tetracycline drug for daily use for a skin condition - apparently this can protect me from thrush, syphilis and gonorrhea. I'll be on it for the rest of my life. 

The worry I have is that there is a new drug-resistant strain of gonorrhea.

Though most pharmaceuticals don't actually treat what they were intended for. Most of the time they're trying to cure problem A and it fails. Then they test it on various other problems and think wow, look, it didn't treat problem A but it works great on problems D and F. Travel sickness pills were the result of failed arthritis drugs.

Edited by Gloryholee