Video: Poz Guys Advocating For Prep In Australia

rawTOP

There are small trials in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane (only 50 in brisbane) with state support of various Hiv groups, with careful monitoring. Doctors specializing in the field can supply a script to obtain Prep from overseas (like I do). They can also supply a script to get it at full cost (11-13K) a year - can't afford that. There is also a concerted push to get it listed on our Pharmacutical  Benefit Scheme (PBS). This would make it available for about $38 (waged etc) or $6 pension/etc per script. 

There are small trials in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane (only 50 in brisbane) with state support of various Hiv groups, with careful monitoring. Doctors specializing in the field can supply a script to obtain Prep from overseas (like I do). They can also supply a script to get it at full cost (11-13K) a year - can't afford that. There is also a concerted push to get it listed on our Pharmacutical  Benefit Scheme (PBS). This would make it available for about $38 (waged etc) or $6 pension/etc per script. 

IMO the biggest issues with PrEP in any country with universal healthcare is cost, and its most likely the reason that many countries are dragging their feet on approving it.  And quite frankly they are right.  Everyone knows that once someone is HIV+ its more costly in the long run.  However its also known that not all people exposed will become HIV+  This is where much cheaper campaigns like testing more often and advocating for condom use come into play.  In this circumstance its something that I wish Gilead would address, but I doubt they will.  In the US they know insurance companies often wont foot the entire bill or their is a large copay, so that where the assistance program comes into play.  However, in countries with Universal coverage, it doesn't work like that.  Gilead likes the way its set up in the US because it allows they to still reap huge profits from the drug.  

Say PrEP is $1000/month, and your insurance will only cover $800.  They just give you a "coupon" for $180/month and then its $20 for you.  However, they still make their $800 from the drug.  Other countries like Australia won't pay that amount and will instead negotiate drug rates which may be something like $300/month or less.  Gilead doesn't want to make less, and the Australia government doesn't really want to pay a few extra grand per year to otherwise healthy people.  

I am about the farthest from a conspiracy theorist there is, but I cant see it any other way.  the US has some of the worlds strictest laws in regards to drug testing, and it leads the world in that field.  If PrEP didn't work it wouldn't have been approved. end of discussion.  Usually other countries quickly follow in approving other drug treatment plans the US prescribes, especially when using already approved medications.  Truvada as PrEP seems to be an anomaly in this case, which is why I see cost as the only logical barrier to other countries usage.       

• Administrators

wood - I agree - cost is definitely an issue. Too bad it's not generic yet. But the video brought up that  Australia took 10 years to approve rapid HIV testing. So it would seem that Australia just has issues when it comes to stuff like this.

IMO the biggest issues with PrEP in any country with universal healthcare is cost, and its most likely the reason that many countries are dragging their feet on approving it.  And quite frankly they are right.  Everyone knows that once someone is HIV+ its more costly in the long run.  However its also known that not all people exposed will become HIV+  This is where much cheaper campaigns like testing more often and advocating for condom use come into play.  In this circumstance its something that I wish Gilead would address, but I doubt they will.  In the US they know insurance companies often wont foot the entire bill or their is a large copay, so that where the assistance program comes into play.  However, in countries with Universal coverage, it doesn't work like that.  Gilead likes the way its set up in the US because it allows they to still reap huge profits from the drug.  

There's clearly a threshold where if you give PrEP to the right people you are going to save money. Treating poz people for a lifetime is going to be way more expensive than providing PrEP. Where is the threshold though? I did see a canadian study which did the math and for PrEP to 'save money to the system' you would have to assume it's 90% effective and carefully give it to those who are at real risk of getting HIV..  if you start giving PrEP to the worrybees who only suck cock you are going to lose money for sure.

Like you, I'm pretty sure all these countries are waiting for going ahead with cheaper generic versions.. otherwise, it just hard to justify the cost.

Guest PozGoat

Governments held hostage by capitalist, for-profit big pharma..

As long at that remains modus operandi, globally, nothing will ever change.