Anyone On Prep Decide To Stop And Get Pozzed?

Guest Saturn1

Guest Saturn1

Just curious, anyone on here decide to quit taking Prep in order to get Pozzed? A buddy of mine was on Prep and was hooking up with this Poz guy who was not on meds. The Poz guy wanted my friend to ditch the Prep. After awhile, the Poz guy convinced my buddy to ditch the Prep because the Prep free sex was SO INTENSE. After three months, my buddy tested Poz. He is really happy to be Poz and loves Pozzing other guys. SO, any Prep defectors on here like my buddy?

Ive never been on prep, but I do know a couple people that are. One of them recently decided to go off it, he decided to take the leap and try to get pozzed. He said that hed been thinking about it for a while, and finally decided "with or without prep, if Im eventually going to get pozzed anyway, so itll happen if and when its meant for me to..."  And thats how Ive always felt about it too. Itll happen for me when its supposed to, and so far Im still neg... :(  but im working on it! :)

• Upvote 1

Breedme420, I'm afraid your friend is wrong: if he sticks with PrEP the chances of him getting pozzed are along the lines of getting hit by falling space debris. Possible, but so unlikely you might as well not waste the time thinking about it. Be a mate and pass that info on to him...

Guest plowmeraw

I was religiously adherent to PreP and became positive. I was pushing the envelope though--was regularly going to Cumunion parties and getting bred by 10+ different guys at them. 

So are you actually saying you became POZ on PREP? This would be the second case ive heard off in 1 month; another guy became poz on prep and shared his experience on the poz.org forum; how long were u on prep before converting? Give us a few details; i hope these cases do not become the norm.

I just started Prep a few months ago but like you plowmeraw I'm pushing the envelope.  I'm still neg as of my last test in March but am due to get another HIV test in June; we'll see if I'm still neg after that test.  

Nothing in medicine is 100%... the protection offered by truvada as PrEP is as complete as can be managed at present (and is still better than a condom). The very few guys who have seroconverted while taking PrEP  religiously represent the very far end of the graph. Which isn't much of a consolation for them, though today's/yesterday's news of the START trial which states that the earlier treatment starts, the better the outcome offers some consolation. The only thing about life that's 100% is death...

Guest plowmeraw

Bearbandit is right--nothing is 100% effective. Every time I had a follow-up HIV test my doctor asked me if I was practicing safe sex. So I knew I was rolling the dice, but I figured I had the odds stacked more in my favor being on prep. There is an online calculator from Johns Hopkins that estimates your risk based on prep/no prep, condoms/no condoms, number of partners, and prevalence of HIV in your area. I think my risk of contracting HIV was about 3% over the course of the year. This time I was the outlier. So while prep is very effective, there is still a chance. Only thing that is 100% effective is abstinence, and who wants to do that?

So are you actually saying you became POZ on PREP? This would be the second case ive heard off in 1 month; another guy became poz on prep and shared his experience on the poz.org forum; how long were u on prep before converting? Give us a few details; i hope these cases do not become the norm.

I may get called out for this... I don't believe, anyone being 100% compliant gets infected with HIV.  Having a couple people "report" on here that they became POZ while taking PrEP....ummmmm   Not scientific. Sorry Guys

• Upvote 2

I really dont believe in "becoming" poz with condoms! Ive used them for 12 years without a single problem; and dont tell me the condom ripped, condoms make a very distinctive sound when they ripped; you have to watch out for that

• Upvote 1

Just curious, anyone on here decide to quit taking Prep in order to get Pozzed? A buddy of mine was on Prep and was hooking up with this Poz guy who was not on meds. The Poz guy wanted my friend to ditch the Prep. After awhile, the Poz guy convinced my buddy to ditch the Prep because the Prep free sex was SO INTENSE. After three months, my buddy tested Poz. He is really happy to be Poz and loves Pozzing other guys. SO, any Prep defectors on here like my buddy?

your friend is a gigantic idiot. 

• Upvote 2

There have been multiple cases, but only a few so far outside of controlled studies 

Nothing in medicine is 100%... the protection offered by truvada as PrEP is as complete as can be managed at present (and is still better than a condom). The very few guys who have seroconverted while taking PrEP  religiously represent the very far end of the graph. Which isn't much of a consolation for them, though today's/yesterday's news of the START trial which states that the earlier treatment starts, the better the outcome offers some consolation. The only thing about life that's 100% is death...

Bingo.  Remember this is is still injecting bodily fluids into your body or vice versa... Things may still happen.  

Bearbandit is right--nothing is 100% effective. Every time I had a follow-up HIV test my doctor asked me if I was practicing safe sex. So I knew I was rolling the dice, but I figured I had the odds stacked more in my favor being on prep. There is an online calculator from Johns Hopkins that estimates your risk based on prep/no prep, condoms/no condoms, number of partners, and prevalence of HIV in your area. I think my risk of contracting HIV was about 3% over the course of the year. This time I was the outlier. So while prep is very effective, there is still a chance. Only thing that is 100% effective is abstinence, and who wants to do that?

I may get called out for this... I don't believe, anyone being 100% compliant gets infected with HIV.  Having a couple people "report" on here that they became POZ while taking PrEP....ummmmm   Not scientific. Sorry Guys

I kinda tend to think that too, but like plowmeraw said, he was getting fucked raw buy LOTS of different guys completely randomly.  It could be a that one night he was torn slightly and there was a guy there who was tenofovir/emtricitabine resistant and newly infected.

With no disrespect to plowmeraw, I think more often than not, infections while on PrEP are the result of careless dosage.  I have a few friends are that are generally good at it, but often forget on weekends, then end up having random sex.While it still may be partially effective, getting plowed raw while missing your dose is never good.   

• Upvote 2