Anyone On Prep Decide To Stop And Get Pozzed?

Guest Saturn1

Even though I wasn't trying to get POZZED I wasn't doing anything to prevent it either. I never asked a guys HIV status and sometimes never even knew his name. Before I just thought going bareback meant I would eventually become POZ and I was willing to go that route if it came to that. But now with PrEP I don't understand why anyone would become POZ.  

• Upvote 2

For a week now I have been thinking about what I wrote that with PrEP I don't understand why anyone would become POZ. Well the more I think about it the more I can see that I was wrong in what I said. Everyone does have their reasons for doing so. I'm not on PrEP yet and I'm still bottoming.  I think there is something inside me that wants my white seed destroyed by my top's black POZ seed, and so does he.

• Upvote 3

There have been multiple cases, but only a few so far outside of controlled studies 

Bingo.  Remember this is is still injecting bodily fluids into your body or vice versa... Things may still happen.  

I kinda tend to think that too, but like plowmeraw said, he was getting fucked raw buy LOTS of different guys completely randomly.  It could be a that one night he was torn slightly and there was a guy there who was tenofovir/emtricitabine resistant and newly infected.

With no disrespect to plowmeraw, I think more often than not, infections while on PrEP are the result of careless dosage.  I have a few friends are that are generally good at it, but often forget on weekends, then end up having random sex.While it still may be partially effective, getting plowed raw while missing your dose is never good.   

I am pretty sure that the  Truvada Resistant top isn't going to infect more or less a bottom on PrEP... Someone's resistance isn't an issue in transmission... (Hey, I maybe wrong)

I am pretty sure that the  Truvada Resistant top isn't going to infect more or less a bottom on PrEP... Someone's resistance isn't an issue in transmission... (Hey, I maybe wrong)

heres the link to his story

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=c8fr5pn7evgd931l5f3k9veps6&topic=58527.0

from the thread. 

My gene testing results are in. It now makes sense why Truvada failed despite 100% adherence. The virus that I have is resistant to emtricitabine, one of Truvada's ingredients. I am not resistant to Tenofovir, the other ingredient, which my doctor thinks is why my viral load is so low (1000) even after an estimated 3 months of infection. 

It also turns out the virus I have is resistant to lamivudine and rilpivirine, and is possibly resistant against didanosine. It looks like this is going to greatly limit the medications I can use since most of the "gentler" treatment options contain lamivudine, ripulviriene, and/or or emtriciatabine

PrEP using Tenofovir alone was shown to not be as effective in studies as PrEP using Tenofovir+emtricitabine, so while his case is surely rare, it does make sense, as he stated in the thread.  So yes, resistance does make a big difference in transmission risk, although transmission risk from someone who is undetectable on other medication is still probably negligible, whereas it would obviously be higher from someone with a HVL.   

Edited by wood
  • Upvote 1

PrEP using Tenofovir alone was shown to not be as effective in studies as PrEP using Tenofovir+emtricitabine, so while his case is surely rare, it does make sense, as he stated in the thread.  So yes, resistance does make a big difference in transmission risk, although transmission risk from someone who is undetectable on other medication is still probably negligible, whereas it would obviously be higher from someone with a HVL.   

Let's assume that all the PrEP breakthrough cases floating around 2 or 3 are real, all of them show resistance to emtricitabine. This could be because:

a. Original infecting virus was resistance to this and therefore PrEP was less efective

b. Infection happened and person developed resistance through the use of the only two drugs in Truvada

I think a. is unlikely because guys on meds are not infectious and guys NOT on meds don't usually have resistant viruses.

I think b. is a lot more likely and reinforces the need of getting tested frequently. Actually in one case on the Partners PrEP study (straight study) this was conclusively the case. Person developed resistance by taking Truvada while being infected.

I'm assuming we'll hear sooner than later about the PrEP breakthrough cases with carefuly study and they'll tell us the whole story.

Edited by rawfuckr
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've been on PrEP for 16 months, still neg, no side effects. For those with questions about PrEP, I highly recommend joining the Facebook group "PrEP Facts" (it's a private group -- your Facebook friends won't know you've joined or see your posts). It's based on science, not speculation or anecdotes (such as this thread is full of). It's full of smart guys and very open discussion.

I still sometimes fantasize about getting pozzed but I'm very glad it's JUST fantasy now. Best decision I ever made.

• Upvote 6