Hey guys. Today has been a great day as I've finally been put on meds to treat my HIV. I have been talking to a few guys on here and they were wondering about my treatment so I look forward to being undetectable very soon. The medication I've been put on is Eviplera. Is there anyone on this medication? If so, how are you finding it? I'm going to take my first tablet after dinner, which will be very significant for me as it's the first real step to getting back to being myself again. So let me know if you've been on it, I'l be sure to keep people who havent started treatment yet updated on what it's like. 

• Upvote 3

Congratulations, Bottomhole!  My initial diagnosis on Friday, August 13th, 1999 was full blown AIDS and given the fact of my being a SLUT from day 1 of my gay life, it wasn't exactly unexpected.  It took the better part of a year for the meds to bring my viral load to undetectable levels and longer than that for my t-cells to significantly improve.  For almost a year now, my t-cells have been over 1,000.  One pill a day isn't bad to get used to and if you trust your Doctor, he'll do what's right for you.  You're now on the road to better health.  If you need someone to talk to, feel free to hit me up.

That's great, Bottomhole! I've taken two of the drugs contained in Eviplera, but not the third, but I've heard little bad about it. Only thing to watch for, really, is that your liver and kidney function tests are done every three months. Tenofovir is the closest to problematic drug in the combination and any side effects from that, caught early, can be completely reversed simply by changing drugs. Bus as I say on another board, side-effects are not compulsory!

You can expect to see faster results than evilqueerpig saw simply because today's drugs are much better than what he (and I) was taking at that time...

Got the TV on right now (rare for me) hoping to catch news of yesterday's referendum. So much hoping for a "yes" vote!

Guest plowmeraw

I think Eviplera is called Complera in the U.S. I've know a few people that were on it and it was great for them. I'm on something similar--I'm taking Tivicay + Truvada. Only difference is you are on a "non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor and I'm on an integrase inhibitor (the chemists can tell you what that means a lot better than I can). I've been tolerating the drugs well for about 2 weeks now. Beardandit is right about tenofovir, but apparently they are working on an "update" of that drug that should be available within the next year that takes care of some of the LT side effects (liver, bone density). I started treatment fairly soon before you--hopefully we'll both be undetectable soon! 

I'm going to take my first tablet after dinner, which will be very significant for me as it's the first real step to getting back to being myself again.

One of the greatest things in life is ease of mind, because it lets you enjoy the great moments in life. Be it the afterglow of sex, a nice barbecue with friends or mountainbiking into the sunset. So I do hope you can enjoy life without having to worry about things too much. If starting therapy can do that for you, I wish you good luck with it and good health!

• Upvote 2

Guest Lempriere

Glad to hear that you have finally started.  I have thought about you often.  Hope things work well for you and you are soon down to an undetectable load.  

Thanks guys for all the nice messages. It's nearly been two weeks now and I've not felt any side effects. I go back in a month to get more tests done so we'll see how effective it is. I'm also in a monogamous relationship with a man who I really love and is supportive and caring, and has boosted my confidence and self-esteem so much. It was a resounding "Yes" Bearbandit, big celebrations in Ireland last week, great to see. Also living a more healthy lifestyle in general, (barely drink any more, no drugs) and happier for it(not that I was out of control) I may not be having slutty adventures any time soon, but I'm ok with that. Much happier in fact. 

• Upvote 2

Great to hear that you've got through the first two weeks: if side effects are going to happen they tend to make themselves known by the second week. Just make sure that your doctor's keeping an eye on your kidney function (easiest way is to ask about the results), as that's the greatest possibility should things go wrong (which with proper monitoring, they won't). And I, along with most of the UK, am over the moon about the referendum result. While I doubt if I'm the marrying kind (though as ever, I'm open to offers), if people want to, it's only right that they should be able to!

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been about 5 weeks and today I got a call to come back in for more tests. I had blood and urine tests last week and this morning was told that the liver test was a bit wacky. But that sometimes these can just be a once off. I'm a little concerned, I hope I don't have to come off the Eviplera, they are so easy to take. But if they are causing problems I'll have to start again. 

It's not unusual for your liver to show some signs of stress when you first start on meds as most of the drugs are processed through the liver (pretty much all the rest go out through the kidneys). With you just having started they're probably just being overcautious: they don't know you well enough yet to be able to see what's happening properly. For instance I always have below average platelet levels - that's normal for me, but a doctor who didn't know that would get concerned. Your doctors are still discovering where your baselines are and how you tick...

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on meds now (Eviplera as well) for the last two months, however my Viral Load was in the process of dropping rather significantly before I started meds, just prior to starting my VL was 988.  THat particular result shocked and surprised my clinician, he initially didn't want me to start meds, considering those recent results, however I finally divulged the truth of my excesses, and he changed his mind. He estimates that I'll be undetectable around the 2 - 3 month mark.  Heck I may be there right now.

When I first took the pill, I basically received almost all the side effects in one night, they began to filter out after around two weeks.

And now, I feel very healthy, aside from my seasonal bout of hayfever.

• Upvote 1

OK, this is that stupid question that i cant help but feel is the exception to the no question is stupid rule. i am on PrEP and was talking about it to a friend. i drink tea non stop and he said doesnt that add to the pressure on my kidneys? Should i cut back on my tea habit lol?