Thought I Was Ready...

I thought I was ready to bareback and met up with two "neg" guys from BBRT three weeks ago. I only topped, and it was great fun, but I have regret because I do want to stay negative.  I want to do this the right way, get myself on prep, and have fun. 

I did contract Chlamydia from one of the guys and I'm just super paranoid and worried that I'm too late and already contracted HIV.  I know it's just a waiting game and I have to test to find out, but is there any "odds" of my risks that can help calm me down?  

When you were tested and treated for chlamydia didn't they also offer you an HIV test at the same time? They should have recommended and offered it. 

Make an appointment with your doctor now. Tell him or her you don't always use condoms and want to go on PrEP. Be honest about your recent sexual contacts. You'll need a few blood tests before you start taking the Truvada, like tests for HIV, syphilis, and to make sure your kidney are functioning correctly (plus any other STIs your doctor wants to test you for).

When you start PrEP, take the pill every day. Full protection for men kicks in about about 7-10 days on PrEP.  Once you're on PrEP, I promise your stress level about sex will go WAY down. You'll calm down (more than you imagine). And you'll enjoy sex a lot more because you're not so worried afterwards. That was my experience.

Best wishes and give us an update.

• Upvote 1

Update and question for you all. I'm so paranoid and worried, anxiety has manifested every possible symptom of ARS. Today I noticed a swollen lymph node in my neck and couldn't talk it so I went to the clinic to see what an HIV test would reveal at 4 weeks.

The test was a rapid (results in one minute)

biolytical insti hiv test

The nurse was adamant that this HIV test would not reveal a positive or negative status from this encounter until at least three months. But everything I've read online indicate a six week negative rarely turns positive.

I am negative today at four weeks. Do I have a good chance to stay negative from these results or are they truly worthless?

Thanks

There's no point in torturing yourself wondering about your HIV status until you actually perform the test after the window period (3 months). In the past I've had night sweats and many of the symptoms of ARS but it was just another virus. HIV is not the only virus.

RawSkater,

Relax and breathe. You're most likely fine.

If the worry is consuming you, you could ask for a more sensitive test that can detect HIV infection much earlier than the rapid test you were given.  

4th Generation HIV tests look for the presence of both the virus itself as well as antibodies to it. It can detect HIV infection just 14 days after exposure.  4th Gen. tests are also called "HIV Ag/Ab serum testing" (Ag = antigen and Ab = antibodies). It requires a blood draw and several days to a week for results but it gives results with a much smaller "window period " after possible exposure.

Rapid tests are much more common because they're quick, easy to administer and much less expensive to offer but tests that show a recent infection much earlier are also available.

Again, relax and breathe. You're making yourself sick with worry.

Take care and get yourself on PrEP as soon as you can.

For all those bareback curious, here are the numbers and some math. HIV+ person undetectable has viral load less than 20 copies. Recently infected, during the 3 months seronegative window (when old test wouldn't pick up the infection), can have viral load up to 1000000 copies. So the guy can be honest that his last test was negative, but if he is regularly barebacks around, chances are he has contracted it and then you are at 50000 more risk having sex with him than with someone POZ and undetectable. Thats a pretty big number, probably one such encounter is as risky as a whole life of fucking with someone POZ.

The moral of that is? Use the condom! If you don't use the condom your odds to stay neg are better with a POZ guy who knows and manages his condition, than with a NEG guy who doesn't really know his exact status.

• Upvote 1