6 Life Senences That Still Come With Hiv.

http://www.advocate.com/health/hiv-aids/2015/06/24/6-life-sentences-come-hiv

while it may rile some, I do feel the premise of this article is sound, and puts HIV is perspective, especially for those who think it is a complete non-issue. 

I wouldn't say HIV is a non-issure, and peoples experience with HIV varies. I will answer the points of the article with my experience

1. Financial burdens. This very much depends on where one lives, I live in San Francisco California, and I have not found it a financial burden

2. Premature aging.   I think part of this problem was the older drugs that were used, I didn't need to go on medication until 2005

3. Dating dilemmas.   This probably depends on where one lives and one's age, I'm 57 and get more "positive" attention when I wear my bio hazard tanktop but I do live in San Francisco.

4. Doctor visits.  The article states that one will have to see one's doctor ever four months, well there is a push to seeing one's doctor once ever six months or even a year if one's health is stable

5. Increased risks for other (serious) diseases.  Once again, the drugs are better and there is more knowledge on how to treat HIV, That's not to say that one won't ever have to be knowledgeable and self advocate, but one has to do that anyway for one's health

6. Chronic anxiety.  Well...one's mileage does very with this, some are devastated for a while and others revel in letting their toxic pig out

Edited by tboyer
  • Upvote 2

I wouldn't say HIV is a non-issure, and peoples experience with HIV varies. I will answer the points of the article with my experience

1. Financial burdens. This very much depends on where one lives, I live in San Francisco California, and I have not found it a financial burden

2. Premature aging.   I think part of this problem was the older drugs that were used, I didn't need to go on medication until 2005

3. Dating dilemmas.   This probably depends on where one lives and one's age, I'm 57 and get more "positive" attention when I wear my bio hazard tanktop but I do live in San Francisco.

4. Doctor visits.  The article states that one will have to see one's doctor ever four months, well there is a push to seeing one's doctor once ever six months or even a year if one's health is stable

5. Increased risks for other (serious) diseases.  Once again, the drugs are better and there is more knowledge on how to treat HIV, That's not to say that one won't ever have to be knowledgeable and self advocate, but one has to do that anyway for one's health

6. Chronic anxiety.  Well...one's mileage does very with this, some are devastated for a while and others revel in letting their toxic pig out

1) financial burden is almost completely dependent on ones wealth or lack there of.  A person making 100k a year without a great health plan is in for a world of hurt in terms of HIV treatment, They dont qualify for assistance, so they make enough to pay retail for treatment. 

2) This is treatment independent, and very true, HIV has been proven to cause increased aging regardless of treatment.

3) I think anyone who is honest can agree that HIV can cause real issues in the dating world. sorry boys not everyone is a pig, including the man you may fall in love with.

4) this is debatable, especially when you consider older people usually have to go to the doctor more often anyway. 

5) This is just a fact. even undetectable hiv+ people end up with diseases that most negative people never get. PCP is a great example.  75% of HIV+ men will get it, yet almost no one in the general HIV- population does.  I have friends i chicago that just told me about a similar meningitis outbreak.  HIV- and HIV+ got it, but the side effects and risk of death in HIV+ cases was much higher.

6)debatable, but I would also say any chronic condition becomes both a worry and an everyday burden.  how the individual deals with it is up to them.    

• Upvote 1

I'll admit to being riled by it: I thought it was lousy journalism (and said so to the author). As a long term PwHIV I found it depressing, as someone who does voluntary work with people who are newly diagnosed, I found it alarmist, and for people who are HIV-, well we've known for years that scare tactics don't work without a personal connection (of the sort where someone with HIV talks about the downsides of having it). Basically shameful clickbait...

The article is "alarmist" because it's sounding an alarm to those who think that HIV infection is just one little bump on the road and then it's all smooth sailing after that. Or is it?

I recently met a young bottom, 25, who is still HIV- but has given up and doesn't care anymore. He just wants anonymous loads up his hole and wants me to help him. I know he wouldn't be persuaded by any of the 6 Life Sentences to stop taking anon loads.

I'll admit to being riled by it: I thought it was lousy journalism (and said so to the author). As a long term PwHIV I found it depressing, as someone who does voluntary work with people who are newly diagnosed, I found it alarmist, and for people who are HIV-, well we've known for years that scare tactics don't work without a personal connection (of the sort where someone with HIV talks about the downsides of having it). Basically shameful clickbait...

I would never say its great journalism, but I do think it points of some things that some guys forget or choose to ignore.  shameful clickbait? ehhh I have seen much worse out there.  I dont think a slight reality check, especially for younger guys who think being poz is nothing but a pill a day is a bad thing.  

The article is "alarmist" because it's sounding an alarm to those who think that HIV infection is just one little bump on the road and then it's all smooth sailing after that. Or is it?

I recently met a young bottom, 25, who is still HIV- but has given up and doesn't care anymore. He just wants anonymous loads up his hole and wants me to help him. I know he wouldn't be persuaded by any of the 6 Life Sentences to stop taking anon loads.

I doubt he would be either, but it may persuade him to look into PrEP for example.  Take the point I made above about health and PCP, and meningitis.  HIV even in undetectable guys still causes health issues.  The article simply points out facts that some may not even realize, especially younger guys with no sex ed.   

This article gives some perspective of what life may be like for those of us who live a long time with the virus...

"As people with HIV live longer, aging presents challenges"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-aging-with-hiv-20150614-story.html?utm_content=16701013&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook#page=1

Maybe the idea was to get it across to younger guys that HIV is still a serious disease.  It seems like the younger guys don't grasp that and as a result are taking more risks and have a more carefree about HIV, thinking you just pop a pill and your good to go at least that is what drug ads would lead one to think.

Bearbandit, why couldn't I click to "like" your post the way I "liked" the others? Well, you know I love all of your posts.

• 3 weeks later...