Undetectable Loads

Research says there is a 98% less likelyhood of infection with an undetectable partner.  Now, the Neg. Top/ Undetect. Bottom is less risky than taking the load.  But also consider, someone who tells you they are negative isnt 100% sure of their status

• Upvote 2

If the undetectable guy takes his pills as supposed to? If his last test says undetectable, what certainty except for his word do you have he took his pills afterwards correctly? Don't get blinded by words. Infections chances are a lot lower than with a detectable guy, but it is still risky, just the same as a neg guy with test results that can be outdated because of recent risky sex

• Upvote 2

• Moderators

Statistically speaking, an undetectable load is MUCH safer than a presumed negative one.

Personally, I have no problem taking an undetectable load, and I felt that way even before I was on PrEP. 

That's why medicine is never 100%: I have no reason to think that my viral load has shot to infectious levels, but there's always the chance, even though I'm as close to 100% adherent with my meds (needing pain meds makes it easier to remember when meds are due!) that my virus might have developed a resistance to one of the drugs, leading to its proliferation and taking me into the infectious bracket. But despite that, it's necessary to remember that, contrary to much of the fiction on this site, it's actually quite difficult to get HIV, even from someone with a high viral load. Yes, the chances increase as the viral load rises, but it's never a certainty.

Speaking as someone who isn't into gifting (call me selfish, but I just don't want the responsibility for someone else's life) as long as my last viral load was undetectable, I'm as confident as anyone can be that I'm not infectious.

Guest Porthos

Its much saferr than playing with "neg" guys who consistently bareback because they may have contracted HIV since their last test. A great many people are infected by guys who have no idea they are poz, especially if they were recently infected....I was knocked up by a guy who had no idea. It was only after I tested poz 3 months after he fucked me that i contacted him and he found he was poz too with a sky high viral load....I've been 100% adherent to my meds and always test undetectable....I have a few buds who confidently take my load without worries

If the undetectable guy takes his pills as supposed to? If his last test says undetectable, what certainty except for his word do you have he took his pills afterwards correctly? Don't get blinded by words. Infections chances are a lot lower than with a detectable guy, but it is still risky, just the same as a neg guy with test results that can be outdated because of recent risky sex

This is true, but even guys who are not as great about their meds as they could be dont experience huge viral load spikes, just because they forget their medication one or two days.  With "neg" guys who dont get tested regularly that 6 month, year, or hell 5 year window is a easy way to be "not sure" about status. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Undetectable guys are the new safe sex.

Correction, we're the new safeR sex. There is no such thing as safe sex (apart from masturbation).

The risk is teeny tiny. But not 0. As long as they understand that, I have no qualms breeding neg guys. If I felt the risk was significant (eg I wasn't on meds), I wouldn't do it.

• Upvote 3

I have no hesitation with a guy who's is undectable. To me that means he has been tested and is on meds. Far better than a guy who thinks he is negative but has never been tested.thete is no such thing as safe sex. However there is sex with a guy who is as healthy as he can be.

Just for the record I am concerned more about hepitas with guys. That can be a killer too. Get the Hep a anf b shot

• Upvote 1